Aston Botterell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Bold.
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1559
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Aston Botterell
- Historical Descriptions
- Poll Books
Parishes adjacent to Aston Botterell
View Larger Map
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTON-BOTTERELL, a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop; under the Clee hills, 6½ miles NNW of Cleobury-Mortimer, and 9½ NE of Ludlow r. station. It contains the hamlet of Bold; and its Post Town is Burwarton, under Bridgnorth. Acres, 2,238. Real property, £3,978. Pop., 171. Houses, 35. The manor belonged anciently to the Botterells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £367. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Aston Botterell The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aston-Botterell, a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Cleobury-Mortimer, Salop ; 8½ miles south-west from Bridgnorth; on a branch of the Rea. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £7 1s. 0½d.; gross income £367. Patron; in 1835, the duke of Cleveland. Pop., in 1801, 247; in 1831, 260. Houses 42. Acres 3,000. A. P. £1,926. Poor rates, in 1837, £96.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Aston Botterell Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aston-Botterell, 6½ miles N.W. Cleobury-Mortimer. P. 173
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Aston Botterel Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Aston Botterel. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden. A rectory remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 40 houses, 230 inhabitants. 9 miles north-east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Aston Botterel, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Cleobury Mortimer Polling District
Aston Botterel— Parish of
1404 Bishop Richard
1405 Beddoes Thomas
1406 Chatham William
1407 Hayes Richard
1408 Hincksman John
1409 Lewley Francis
1410 Meredith William
1411 Radnor John
1412 Smith Forbes, the Rev.
1413 Sparrow John William
1414 Wetherell Nathan
Aston Botterell The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672
Format = Name; Fireharths; ll. (Pounds); s. (shillings)
Richard Detton, Esq. ; 3; 0; 6
Mr. Humphrey Ellis ; 3; 0; 6
William Millichopp 4; 0; 8
Francis Grove ; 1; 0; 2
Richard Millichopp ; 2; 0; 4
Thomas Baldwyn ; 2; 0; 4
William Childe ; 1; 0; 2
William Sheford ; 3; 0; 6
John Child ; 1; 0; 2
Mr Thomas Talbott ; 7; 0; 14
Jenkin Meredith ; 1; 0; 2
Robert Watts ; 7; 0;14
Eliz. Screven wid. ; 4; 0; 8
John Hewlett ; 4; 0; 8
John Davies ; 1; 0; 2
Henry Gitten ; 3; 0; 6
Richard Lowe ; 1; 0; 2
Nicholas Smith ; 2; 0; 4
John Millichopp ; 2; 0; 4
William Frances ; 1; 0; 2
Mr. William Lowe ; 3; 0; 6
Thomas Romsbedd ; 1; 0; 2
Totals – Fireharths – 57; ll. (Pounds) – 5; s. (Shillings) – 14
Aston Botterel Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Aston Botterel is a parish and village, pleasantly Situated at the foot of the Brown Clee hill, 11 miles from Ludlow, and 8 from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, Cleobury Mortimer union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael is a stone building, in the aisle is a handsome altar tomb, with canopy, supported by six columns, to the memory of the Botterels, who formerly held this manor under the Earls of Arundel. The living is a rectory, yearly value £345, with residence and 71 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland. A school is supported by subscriptions.
The interest of £50 is distributed to the poor in money on St. Thomas’s Day. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor and chief landowner. About the year 1240, Philip Boterel is returned as holding one fee in Aston of the Barony of John Fitz-Alan. In 1316 John Boterel was lord of Aston Botterel. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and rock. The area is 2,198 acres, and the population in 1861 was 171; gross estimated rental £2,300; rateable value, £2,097.
Bold is a hamlet.
Letters received through Bridgnorth.
Registrar of Births and Deaths, Thomas Bray, Farlow.
De Heriz Rev. Forbes smith, B.A. J. P.
Hodges George, esq.
Beddoe Thomas, farmer, Moorbrook
Bishop Richard, farmer, Norton
Bryan William, tailor
Hayes Richard, farmer
Hinckesman John, farmer, Charlcott
Hodges George, surgeon
Hughes George, bailiff for Mr. Sparrow
Humphries Ann, farmer
Lawley John, Fox inn, & farmer
Meredith William, farmer
Miles John, farmer, Charlcott
Ray Mary Ann, (Mrs.) & Horton Sarah (Mrs.), farmers, Aston hall
Weatherall John, farmer, Haywood
Wellings George, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury