Ashford Bowdler is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1735 from chapelry in Bromfield Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1630
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Ashford Bowdler
- Historical Descriptions
- Poll Books
Parishes adjacent to Ashford Bowdler
View Larger Map
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHFORD-BOWDLER, a parish in Ludlow district, Salop; on the river Teme, adjacent to Wooferton r. station, 2½ miles S of Ludlow. Post Town, Ludlow. Acres, 575. Real property, £1,144. Pop., 106. Houses, 18. The property is not much divided. Ashford-Bowdler Court and Ashford-Bowdler Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £55. Patron, Walker, Esq. The church is an old edifice, figuring picturesquely in a neat small village.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ashford-Bowdler, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Ludlow, county of Salop; 3 miles south from Ludlow; on the post-road to Tenbury. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £9; in the parliamentary returns at £40; gross income £55. Pop., in 1801, 79; in 1831, 99. Houses 17. Acres 630. A. P. £1,212. Poor rates, in 1837, £58.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashford-Bowdler, 3 m. S. Ludlow. P. 96
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Ashford Bowdler A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop, partly in the county of Hereford. 16 houses, 89 inhabitants. 3 miles south-west by south of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Ashford Bowdler Shropshire Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Ashford Bowdler, Parish of
2225 Froggatt Isaac
2226 Harper Thomas
2227 Leake Robert
2228 Monnington William, dead
2229 Pinhorn George
2230 Pritchard Francis Wood
2231 Powis Thomas Gitton
2232 Ridgley Herbert, see 2448
Ashford Bowdler - Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Ashford Bowdler is a parish, two miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford; it is pleasantly situated on the river Teme, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway. The church of St. Andrew was thoroughly repaired and repewed about 1850, at the sole expense of the late C. Walker, Esq., then patron of the living, and was again restored a few years since, and a handsome east window of stained glass, presented by F. W. Pritchard, Esq.; it contains several monuments. The living is a vicarage, annual value of £73, in the gift of F. W. Pritchard, Esq. The soil is strong loam, clay and gravel, and the pasturage very good. The principal landowners are F. W. Pritchard, Esq., and Sir Edward Russell. The charities amount to 30s. The population in 1861 was 106; and the area is 585 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,900; rateable value, £1,500.
Letters are received through Ludlow.
Bowen Mr. James Thomas, Yew Tree cottage
Marriott John, esq., Ashford hall
Pritchard Francis Wood, Esq., Ashford grove
Thomas Mrs., Church house
Broome Robert, farmer
Dyke Mary, farmer
Froggatt Isaac, farmer, Feather Knole
Harper Thomas, farmer
Powis Thomas Gitton, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Munslow
- Province: Canterbury