Ash Shropshire Family History Guide

Ash is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1844 from Whitchurch Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Ash Parva and Ash Magna.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1837

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ash


View Larger Map

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASH, a chapelry in whitchurch parish, Salop; 2¼ miles SE of Whitchurch r. station. It includes the townships of Ash-Magna and Ash-Parva; contains the residences of Ash House and Ash Grove; and has a post office under Whitchurch. Pop., 545. Houses, 110. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £145. Patron, the Rector of Whitchurch.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Great Ash Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ash (Great). 2¾ m. S.E. and included in Whitchurch.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Ash Magna Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ash Magna. A township in the parish of Whitchurch, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2 miles south-east of Whitchurch3).

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Little Ash Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ash (Little), adjoining Great Ash, and included in Whitchurch pa.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Ash Parva Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ash Parva. A township in the parish of Whitchurch, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2½ miles south-east of Whitchurch

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Ash Magna and Ash Parva - Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Ash Magna and Ash Parva are townships, in the parish of Whitchurch, forming an ecclesiastical district, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Bradford, union and county court district of Whitchurch, rural deanery of Whitchurch, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield.

Ash Magna is 188 miles from London, 2 ½ south-east from Whitchurch railway station, and 15 from Crewe, situated on the road from Whitchurch to Market Drayton.  The church of Our Saviour is a neat brick and stone building, with square tower; it was erected in 1836, principally by subscription.  The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the rector of Whitchurch, of the yearly value of £80, arising from glebe land and money endowments.  There is a National school, supported by subscriptions, at which about 90 children are educated.  The Hon. R. C. Cotton, who is lord of the manor, and John Hazledine, Esq., are the principal landowners.  The soil, gravel and clay; subsoil, gravel.  The area is 626a. 3r. 14p., and the population in 1861 was 181.  The scenery is beautifully diversified, and the high grounds command prospects of unbounded extent.

Ash Parva is 2 ½ miles on the road from Whitchurch to Market Drayton.  The principal landowners are Viscount Hill, W. C. Radford-Norcop, Esq., and Samuel Yates Bennion, Esq.  The land is picturesque; soil various.  The area is 2,379a. 1r., and the population in 1861 was 179.

Letters through Whitchurch arrive at 7 30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 10 p.m.
National School, George Jones, master; Mrs. Jane Jones, mistress.

Ash Magna.
Price Rev. Henry Hugh, M.A., Vicarage
Ravenshaw Henry, esq., Ash hall
Tudman Edward, esq., Ash grove
Cliff John, beer retailer & blacksmith
Darlington Joseph, farmer
Derricutt John, White Lion
Moreton Ann, shopkeeper
Pursell John and Son, wheelwrights
Ravenshaw John, farmer, Ash hall
Shuker Peter, blacksmith
Wynne Mrs., farmer

Ash Parva.
Nield Mrs., Ash house
Blackshaw James, farmer
Blake George, farmer
Clay Charles, farmer
Darlington Thomas, farmer, Twemlowes hall
Davies John, farmer, Ash wood
Hughes Henry, farmer, Ashwood
Nield William, farmer
Ravenscroft George, farmer, Ash acre
Ravenshaw John, farmer
Topham Thomas, farmer, Twemlowes
Venables Samuel, farmer, Lower Kempley

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wem
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
  • Poor Law Union: Whitchurch Incorp
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury