Alveley Shropshire Family History Guide

Parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Alveley, Shropshire, England, seen from the northeast
Parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Alveley, Shropshire, England, seen from the northeast Graham Maclachlan. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Alveley Methodist Church, Church Road, Alveley, Shropshire, seen from the west.
Alveley Methodist Church, Church Road, Alveley, Shropshire, seen from the west. The copyright on this image is owned by Row17 and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Alveley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alveley parish includes the liberty of Romsley, and the townships of Alam Bridge or Allom Bridge, Cotton and Kingsnordley, Nordley Regis, King’s Nordley or Nordley.

Parish Church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1561

Nonconformists included in Alveley: Primitive Methodist

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Alveley


View Larger Map

Historical Descriptions

Alveley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALVELEY, a township and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The township lies on the river Severn, adjacent to the Severn Valley railway, near Higley r. station, 8 miles NNW of Kidderminster; and has a post. office under Bridgnorth. Pop., 882. Houses, 194. The parish includes also the township of Nordley-Regis and the liberty of Romsley. Acres, 6,788. Real property, £8,423. Pop., 1,018. Houses, 225. The property is much subdivided. Lead ore occurs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £103. Patron, Mrs. Wakeman. The church had a chantry. A school has £26 a year from endowment, and other charities £97.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Alveley, a parish and township, partly in the hund. of Stottesden, and partly in the borough of Bridgenorth, union of Bridgenorth, county of Salop; on the eastern bank of the Severn; 6 miles south east of Bridgenorth. It includes the liberty of Romsley, and the township of Nordley-Regis. Living, a perpetual curacy under the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Bridgenorth; rated at £65 per annum in the parliamentary returns; gross income £82. Patron, in 1835, John Wingfield, Esq., who appoints an official and registrar. There are three daily schools here: one a free school, endowed by John Grove in 1615; master's salary £22 12s. John Grove also bequeathed yearly stipends to five old men of the parish. The entire income of both these churches is £73. The other charities connected with the parish yield £56 yearly. Pop., in 1801, 791 ; in 1831, 949. Houses 193. Acres 7,640. A. P. £5,618. Poor rates of the township, in 1837, £485.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD'S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Alveley with Nordley-Regis, 6 m S.S.E. Bridgenorth. P. 1062

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alvely. A curacy and parish in the exempt jurisdiction of the borough of Bridgnorth, - partly in the borough of Bridgnorth, partly in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Stottesden. 180 houses, 975 inhabitants. 7 miles south-east by south of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Alam Bridge or Allom Bridge

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alam Bridge or Allom Bridge. A township in the parish of Alvely, and in the liberties of Bridgnorth. 6 ½ miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cotton

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Cotton. A township in the parish of Alveley, and a chapelry. Cotton Hall is the residence of the Rev. J. H. Petit. 5 ½ miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Nordley Regis

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Nordley Regis or King’s Nordley or Nordley. A township in the parish of Alveley, and in the liberties of Bridgnorth. 5 miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Romsley

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Romsley. A township in the parish of Alveley, and in the liberties of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records - Free

Poll Book

Poll Book 1865, Alveley Shropshire

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Alveley, Parish of

414 Bache Thomas

415 Bache William

416 Bennion James

417 Bowen Thomas

418 Bowen William

419 Bradley Henry

420 Broad Joseph

421 Brooke George

422 Cole Thomas, dead

423 Colebatch William

424 Considine Robert Augustus Wellesley

425 Corser John

426 Cresswell Stephen

427 Cross William

428 Crowther William

429 Doolittle John

430 Foxall James

431 Fereday Thomas, see 485

432 Gretton George

433 Griffiths Richard

434 Hayward John

435 Hobbs William

436 Holloway William

437 Hughes Edward

438 Jennings William

439 Jennings William

440 Jones David

441 Jones William

442 Lane Thomas

443 Morris William, see 461

444 Milward Edward

445 Poole John, see 924, 853

446 Richards Thomas

447 Steward John

448 Steward William

449 Southall Josiah

450 Veal Richard

451 Wakeman Offley Francis Drake

452 Warder John

453 Wire William

454 Wood James

455 Wood Jeffery

456 Yates William

Romsley, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Romsley, Liberty of

726 Foxhall Cresswell Thomas

727 Hazlewood John Price, see 746, 823

728 Wiseman John

Directories

Alveley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Alveley is a parish and large village, 7 miles north-west from Kidderminster, 9 north-north-west from Bewdley, and 8 north-east from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, pleasantly situated on the eastern banks of the river Severn.  The church of St. Mary is a handsome stone building.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £103, in the gift of Mrs. Wakeman.  There is a school for boys and girls.  Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel.  The charities are of about £100 yearly value.  Benjamin Gibbon, Esq., is lord of the manor.  Alveley is reputed to be a manor of ancient demesne.  Alveley came intact into the hands of Henry II, by precisely the same process as Claverley and Worfield, when Henry Plantagenet, soon after his accession, granted it to Guy le Strange.

The Fitz-Warine Chronicle relates how William Peverel had two beautiful nieces, of whom the one, named Melette, had resolved never to marry, excepting to a knight of great prowess. To give the lady a choice, her uncle caused to be proclaimed through many lands a tournament, to be held at his castle in the Peak; at which, whoever should display the greatest dexterity, was to have his niece, with the castle of Whittington. Among the crowd of nobles and distinguished knights who hastened to that brilliant passage of arms, were ten sons of the Duke of Britany, the younger of whom, being named Guy, was called Guy l’Estrange, and from him the several families of the Stranges descended.
Does the reader curiously enquire, was it he who won the lady? Guy did not win her. To that gay gathering, “Where throngs of knights and barons bold, In weed of peace, high triumphs hold,” speeded also Guarin de Metz, with a silver shield and peacock for crest. This knight tilted first against a son of the king of Scots, and then with a baron from Burgundy; and as he vanquished them both, he claimed and obtained as his prize, the willing and beautiful Melette. Seated, therefore at Whittington, between Guarin and the Prince of Wales fierce animosities reigned. The principal landowners are Mrs. Wakeman, Benjamin gibbons, Esq., W. O. Foster, Esq., and Thomas Bache. The charities amount to £183. The population of the township in 1861 was 882. The gross estimated rental, exclusive of Romsley, £6,500; rateable value, £6,120. – Nordley Regis is a township pleasantly situated two miles north-east from the church. Mrs. Wakeman is lady of the manor.
Romsley is a liberty, one mile and a half east, with a population in 1861 of 136. Gross estimated rental £1,740; rateable value, £1,659. The principal landowners are Benjamin Gibbons, Esq., Stephen Creswell, Esq., and J. P. Halewood, Esq.
Post Office. – William Griffiths, receiver. Letters through Bridgnorth; arrive at 9 30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.

ALVELEY

Pool Hall
Pool Hall. Row17 / Pool Hall / CC BY-SA 2.0

Bache Thomas, esq., Green house
Considine Rev. Robert Augustus Wellesley, M.A.
Fereday Thomas, esq., J.P., Tuck hill
Wakeman Mrs., Coton hall
Andrews William, farmer, Bolt hole
Bowen Felicia, farmer, King’s Nordley
Bowen Thomas, farmer, Broad lane
Cattell William, farmer, Pool hall
Clark George, grocer
Clark John, Squirrell, and butcher
Clark Stephen, farmer, Turley green
Clarke John, farmer, Hadley’s barn
Cross William, farmer, Astley
Crow Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Turley green
Dixon William, farmer, Lake house
Dovey Thomas, boot and shoe maker, Six Ashes
Downton Samuel, tailor
Fellows Michael, farmer, Hall close
Fereday Thomas, farmer and landowner, Tuck hill
Foxall James, farmer
Gorton Mary, shopkeeper
Gretton William, farmer, High barns
Gretton William, jun., farmer, Little Coton
Griffiths Richard, farmer, Filley loads
Griffiths William, tailor
Hardman Catherine, farmer, Little London
Harley John, wheelwright & beer retailer
Harris John, farmer, Lowe farm
Hayward John, farmer, The Butts
Hayward Thomas, farmer, Hill house
Head John, beer retailer, Kitlands
Higgs John, butcher
Hinton Wm. Smith, miller, Allum bridge
Hobbis Mary, Three Horseshoes
Holloway William, beer retailer and cooper, Hampton load
Hughes Edward, farmer, Upper Hollies
Humphries Joseph, farmer, Perry house
Jennings William, beer retailer
Jones William, farmer, Hill house
Lane Thomas, quarry master
Lloyd Edward, shoe maker
Massey Margery, farmer, Turley green
Minifie Richard, farmer, Coton farm
Morris William, farmer, Church farm
Palmer Edmund, farmer, Barrets
Pierce Mary, farmer, Fen green
Potter Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Richards Thomas, farmer, Dodd’s green
Stockall Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Cook’s green
Tantrem Joseph, farmer
Thomas John, farmer, Broadlanes
Veal Richard, farmer, High house
Warder John, farmer, The Hay
Webb Benjamin, farmer, Allum bridge
Webb Benjamin, jun., farmer, Dumballs
Wier William, farmer, Cook’s cross
Wootton John, farmer, Broadlanes
Yardley Thomas, Blue Bell, and blacksmith
Yates William, farmer

ROMSLEY
Cox Mrs.
Creswell Stephens, farmer and landowner, Lower house
Doolittle John, shoe maker, The Finger
Edmonds John, farmer, The Bow hills
Foxall Sarah, blacksmith
Foxall Thomas Creswell, farmer
Gritton Joseph, farmer, Hart’s green
Lane George, wheelwright
Reynolds Matthew, farmer
Williams Joseph, farmer, New house
Winnall John, farmer, Upper Harley
Wiseman Ann, farmer, Hart’s green

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Alveley Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

 Alveley is a parish and large village, 12 miles north west from Kidderminster, 7 south-south-east from Bridgnorth, 9 north-north-west from Bewdley, and 8 north-east from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred and rural deanery of Stottesden, Bridgnorth union and county court district, South Shropshire, archdeaconry of Salop, Hereford diocese. It is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the river Severn. The population in 1861 was 1,018. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £163 yearly, in the gift of Mrs. Wakeman; the Rev. R. A. W. Considine, M.A. , St. John's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. The church is named St. Mary. The register dates from the year 1561. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a National school for boys and girls. There are charities of about £100 yearly value.

Romsley is a liberty 1 mile and a half east, with a population in 1861 of 136.
Parish Clerk, Samuel Downton.

Alveley.

Bache Thomas, esq. Green house
Considine Rev . Robert Augustus Wellesley, M.A
Wakeman Mrs. Coton hall

Commercial.

Ameys Thomas, farmer, Dumbals
Bache William, farmer, Lackhouse
Bates & Pierce, farmers, Fen green
Bowen William, farmer, King's Nordley
Clarke Edward, farmer, Hadley's barn
Clarke John, butcher
Clarke Stephen, farmer, Turley green
Cross William, farmer, Astlev
Crow Jane (Mrs), shopkeepr. Turley grn
Dovey Thos. boot & shoe mak. Six Ashes
Downton Samuel, tailor
Edmonds Joseph, farmer, Pool hall
Fellows Michael, farmer
Foxall James, blacksmith
Giles John, Bell
Gorton Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Gretton William, farmer, High barns
Griffiths Richard, farmer, Filley loads
Griffiths William, tailor & shopkeeper
Gritton Geo. & Wm. farmers. Lit. Coton
Hardman Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, Little London
Hayward John, farmer, The Butts
Head John, beer retailer, Kitlands
Higgs John, butcher

The Three Horseshoes public house, Alveley, Shropshire
The Three Horseshoes public house, Alveley, Shropshire. Richard Law / The Three Horseshoes pub / CC BY-SA 2.0

Hobbis Maty (Mrs.), Three. Horseshoes
Hobbs William, Squirrel, & farmer
Holloway William, beer retailer & cooper, Hampton load
Hughes Edward, farmer, Upper Hollies
Humphries Joseph, farmer, Perry house
Jennings William, beer retailer
Jones David, quarry master
Jones William, farmer, Hill house
Lane Thomas, quarry master
Massey William, farmer, Turley green
Millward John, beer retailer & farmer
Morris William, farmer
Palmer Edwin, farmer, Barrets
Richards Thomas, farmer, Dodd's green
Rowley Richard, boot & shoe maker
Stockall Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Cook's grn
Tantrem Joseph, farmer, Tuck's hill
Thomas John, farmer, Broadlanes
Veal Richard, farmer, High house
Walker Charles, butcher
Warder John, farmer, Hay
Weaver James, farmer, Coton
Webb Benjamin, carpenter & farmer
Williams Joseph, farmer
Wood James & Jeffrey, quarry masters
Wootton John, beer retailer, Broadlanes
Wyer William, farmer, Cook's cross
Yardlev Thomas, blacksmith
Yates William, wheelwright

Romsley.

Cox Thomas, miller & farmer
Creswell Stephen, farmer, The Hall
Crow Edwnrd, farmer
Doolittle John, shoemaker, The Finger
Edmonds John, farmer, The Bowels
Foxall Sarah (Mrs.), blacksmith
Foxall Thomas, farmer
Gritton Joseph, farmer, Hart's green
Haynes Benjamin, farmer
Lane George, wheelwright
Reynolds Matthew, farmer
Winnell John, fanner, High Trees

Post Office. — William Griffiths, receiver. Letters through Bridgnorth; arrive at 8.55 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bridgnorth.
National School, Thomas Pickering, master; Mrs. Ann Pickering, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Family History Links

Genuki

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of Bridgnorth
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Bridgnorth
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury