Albrighton (Shifnal), Shropshire Family History Guide

Albrighton (near Shifnal) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Albrighton near Wolverhampton

Parish church: St. Mary Magdelene

Parish registers begin: 1555

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Albrighton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALBRIGHTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Shiffnal, Salop. The village adjoins the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway, 5¼ miles ESE of Shiffnal; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Wolverhampton. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on the second Monday in Jan., the first Monday in March, 23 May, and the third Monday in Oct. The parish comprises 3,424 acres. Real property, £8,393. Pop., 1,156. Houses, 249. The manor anciently belonged to Dore Abbey. The property is divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £651. Patrons, alternately the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital. The church is early English, with perpendicular transoms. Charities, £65. The subdistrict comprises ten parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 22,511. Pop., 4,145. Houses, 820.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Albrighton (Shifnal) The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Albrighton, a parish, formerly a market-town, in the Shiffnall division of the hund. of Brimstree, union of Shiffnall, Shropshire; 5 miles south- east by east from Shiffnall. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean of Lichfield; rated at £5 10s.; gross income £651. Alternate patrons, the Company Of Haberdashers and the governors of Christ's hospital, London. Fairs for cattle, sheep, and swine, are held here on the first Monday in March, 23d May, and last Monday in June. Charities of about £64 yearly, are distributed to the poor of this parish. Pop., in 1801, 901; in 1831, 1,054. Houses 211. Acres 2,970. A. P. £6,357. Poor rates, in 1837, £289.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Albrighton Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Albrighton, 5 miles S.E. Shiffnall. P. 1058.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Albrighton (near Shifnal) Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Albrighton. A parish in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 ½ miles south-east of Shiffnall. A vicarage in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 198 houses, 968 inhabitants. Fairs, March 5, May 23, July 18, Nov. 9, for horned cattle, sheep and hogs. A good deal of business is done at these fairs.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Albrighton Parish Registers

Albrighton near Wolverhampton Parish Registers 1555-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. III (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Albrighton near Wolverhampton Parish Registers 1555-1812 - Archive.org

Albrighton (Shifnal) Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents1, etc. in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept by the Clerk of the Parish Council in an iron safe at his house, viz:-

  • Parish Council Minute Book.
  • Parish Meeting Minute Book.
  • Account Book.
  • Declaration Book.
  • Attendance Book.
  • Treasurer’s Bond.

Documents, etc. in the custody of the vicar. – The following Documents etc. are kept in safes in the Vestry, viz:-

  • General Register, 1555 – 1653 (good state of preservation and re-bound by Vicar).
  • General Register, 1660 – 1725. This Register contains an entry of the Burial of the only Duke of Shrewsbury, viz., the 23rd February, 1717.
  • General Register, 1726 – 1780 (but Marriages only to 1753).
  • Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1780 to the end of 1812
  • Register of Baptisms 1813 – 1841
  • Register of Baptisms 1841 – 1868
  • Register of Baptisms 1868 – in use.
  • Register of Burials, 1813 – 1857
  • Register of Burials 1857 – in use.
  • Register of Marriages 1754 – 1812.
  • Register of Marriages 1813 – 1837
  • Register of Marriages 1837 – in use.
  • Book of Corporation Records, including a copy of the Charter, dated 17th year of reign of Chas. II.
  • Small Map of new Road from Tong.
  • Churchwardens’ and Overseers’ Account Book, 1821 – 1837.
  • Receipt and payment Book, dated 1837, containing a few entries only.
  • Rate Book, dated 1838.
  • Register of Parish Apprentices, 1811 – 1835.
  • Eighteen Old Deeds relating to the Chapman, Bromley, Waltho, and Scott Charities. (the more recent Deeds were stated to be in the custody of Dr. Lamb as Trustee (Parochial Charities.)
  • Cosford Bridge Agreement.
  • Map showing boundary between the parishes of Albrighton and Patshull, together with Commissioners’ Award, dated 1847.
  • Miscellaneous Documents.
  • Tithe Map and Tithe Apportionment, dated 16th March, 1850.

The following list of Documents, etc., was supplied by the Clerk of the Parish Council, and stated to be in the custody of Dr. B. W. Lamb, as sole Trustee of the charities, and kept by him in an iron safe:-
(Note – We have been informed that since the inspection of these Documents the Charity Commissioners have increased the number of Trustees to five).

  • Deed of Bargain and Sale of Land, dated 1681
  • Deed of Trust, purchase of Land dated 1682
  • Deed of Trust dated 1713
  • Deed of Trust dated 1736
  • Lease to Invest dated 1772
  • Deed of Exchange dated 1772
  • Deed of Trust, Poor Land dated 1772
  • Deed to Invest dated 1772
  • Lease dated 11th February, 1791
  • Deed of Trust dated 1796
  • Deed of Trust dated 18th February, 1797
  • Deed of Trust dated 24th June, 1848
  • Deed of Trust dated 12th July, 1865
  • Deed of Trust dated 9th August, 1887

Directories

Albrighton Aubrey Shropshire Directory 1925

Austins; butcher
Crown Hotel
Forshaw J; draper
Gibson W J, coal, line and salt merchant and haulier. Est. over 40 years (late Joseph Jordan)
Harp Hotel, Albrighton
Lloyd J C; grocer
Lockley A A, Hayfield Garage
Lycett J; painter & plumber
Milward Bros; maltsters
Moore W, cycle motor and general engineer
New J H, Bootmaker
Nott C A & C H, 16 and 17, High St; also Motor and Cycle Agents, Beam Garage Official repairer to A.A., & M.U. Also wireless supplies Phone No 8.
Nott W, Carpenter & Builder, horticultural and Sanitary work; funerals undertaken. Phone No. 24.
Old Bush Inn
Oliver G., Station rd, Builder, contractor, carpenter, joiner, and undertaker. Estimates given.
Russell B; draper
Scriven F R; high-class family grocer and provision merchant, corn dealer, wine and spirit merchant. Phone 10.
Scriven M., draper, Post Office
Shrewsbury Arms
Smith T. C., Saddler Station road
Wilcox J L; butcher

Source: Herefordshire, Shropshire & Monmouthshire Directory 1925. Printers & Publishers, Aubrey & Co., Leamore, Walsall.

Albrighton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Albrighton is a village and parish, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton, 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 from Shrewsbury, and 148 ¾ by rail from London, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdalene, supposed to have been built in the thirteenth century, is a stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style, and has several monuments, one of which, standing outside the church, is of the Early English period of architecture, and belongs to the thirteenth century.

The living is rectorially endowed vicarage, yearly value £625, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers’ Company and Christ’s Hospital alternately. “Ralph de Pichford in 1232 fined 40s. with the Crown, for the privilege of holding a market and fair at his manor of Albrighton, for which he obtained the king’s charter, and in 1234 he gave the king the large sum of 300 marks to have marriage of the heirs, and custody of the lands in Ireland, of John Fitz-Dermot.” A school was built for boys and girls in 1856. The charities are of about £70 yearly value. At Pepperhill, on the south-west border of the county, in this parish, is an old mansion belonging to the Talbot family, and now in the possession of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot; it stands on a well wooded eminence, and is built of brick on a base of red sandstone; in the garden is a stone fountain, supposed to have been once an oratory; it is Italian in character and design, but much decayed. In the parish register is recorded the burial of the Duke of Shrewsbury, under date February 23rd, 1717, no place being mentioned, but from this entry it is inferred that he may have resided at Pepperhill. There were formerly several fairs held here, but they have been discontinued for some years. In this parish are the Wolverhampton Water Works. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loan, the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The charities amount to £82. The population of the parish in 1861, was 1,155; the area is 3, 271 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,316; rateable value, £8,800.
Post Office. – Thomas Hammersley, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6.56 a.m.; dispatched at 7.14 p.m.
Registrar of Births and Deaths, Richard Dickins.
Railway station, William O’Beirne.
Barker George Jones, esq. J.P. Albrighton hall
Bishton Rev. Henry
Boulton Mr. William
Briscoe John Edward, esq.
Bucknall George. Esq.
Burd Mrs. Joy house
Corbett Mr. Richard
Dallow Thomas, esq
Davis James, esq.
Dulley Joseph, esq.
Fielding Charles R. esq. Rose cottage
Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A.
Jeavons Joseph, esq. Harriet’s hayes
Lamb Barnabas W. esq.
Law Mr. Richard
Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange
Pace William, esq. Harriet’s hayes
Roberts John, esq.
Sheppard Mrs
Sutton Mr. William
Urry Richard, esq.
Walton Fredck. Esq. J.P. St. Cuthbert’s
Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A. Rectory
Austin Frederick, butcher
Austin George, maltster
Bailey George, maltster
Bailey John, Parkside
Beck Henry, grocer
Boulton John, farmer, Bowling green
Boulton John, farmer, The Elms
Boulton William, manure agent
Bucknall William, Crown inn & farmer
Butler William, wheelwright
Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house
Clewley Edward, Shrewsbury arms
Comley George, linen draper
Cottrill Thomas, tailor
Dallow Thomas, solicitor
Duncalfe George C. coal dealer, &c.
Eardley William, saddler
Ferney James, tailor
Fletcher Thomas, boat & shoe maker
Forshaw John, linen draper
Hammersley John, shopkeeper
Hammersley Susanna, milliner
Harris Henry, plumber, &c.
Howell Thomas, blacksmith
Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth
Jeavons Joseph, farmer
Lamb Barnabas W. surgeon
Meredith John, plumber
Molineux George, grocer
Moore Henry, farmer, Beamish
Moore Paul, higgler
Morris David, ale & porter agent
Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker
Nickolds Edward, bricklayer
Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker
Pace William, farmer
Pearce Hannah, Old Bush inn
Perks John, butcher
Perry John, butcher
Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston Cross
Russell Benjamin, tailor
Shepherd Richard, miller, Cosford
Stanley William, shoe maker
Stubbs William H. farmer, Cosford grange
Stevens Hunt, ladies’ boarding school
Sutton William, wheelwright
Taylor John, shoemaker, New house
Taylor William, shoemaker, New house
Tomkins John, grocer
Totty George, bricklayer
Ward John, blacksmith
Weatherby Andrew, contractor, &c.
Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bishton hall
Wedge Daniel, boot maker
Wheeler Bessy, carrier
Wiggins Fanny, beer retailer
Windsor Elizabeth, milliner
Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager),Cosford
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Albrighton Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Albrighton is a village, extensive parish, and railway station, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton (its post town), 5 south-east from Shiffnal (its poor-law union and petty sessions town), 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 east-south-east from Shrewsbury, and 148¾ by rail from London, in the Shiffnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shrewsbury county court district, Shiffnal union and rural deanery, South Salop, Salop archdeaconry, and Lichfield bishopric. It is situated on the old turnpike road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an old stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style; it has a tower with 6 beautiful bells, nave, aisles, porch, chancel, a new organ, several monuments, one of which is very curious, of the Early English period of architecture and belonging to the thirteenth century; this monument stands outside the church. The register dates from 1555. The living is a rectorial endowed vicarage, value £625 yearly, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital alternately; the Rev. George Windus Woodhouse, M.A., St. Mary's Hall, Oxford, is the incumbent. A school was built for boys and girls In 1856. Fairs are held on the second Monday in January, first Mondav in March, 23rd of May, and third Mondav in October, for fat and store stocks, sheep, horses, &c. Albrighton Hall, the residence and property of George Jones Barker, Esq., is a neat stucco building, with ornamental pleasure grounds. The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,156, and of the chapelry 78; the area is 3,365a. 0r. 7p. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot (who is lord of the manor), the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., John Jones, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the chief landowners. In this parish are situated the Wolverhampton Waterworks. There are charities of about £70 yearly value.

Parish Clerk, John Totty.

Barker Geo. Jones, esq. Albrighton hall
Bidwell Henry, M.D
Bishton Rev. Henry
Boulton Mr. Thomas
Boulton Mr. William
Bourne Mrs
Briscoe John Edward, esq
Corbett Mr. Richard
Dale Miss
Hooper Mr. Thomas
Hope Richard, esq
Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A
Larkin Charles Robert, esq
Law Mr. Richard
Lord Mrs
Loxdale James, esq. J.P. Sutton house
Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange
Mitchell Mrs
Price Mrs. Hope
Price Richard Hope, esq
Richards Mr. George
Ross Mrs
Sutton. Mr. William
Stubbs Orlando, esq. Whiston cross
Thomas Mrs
Walters Benjamin, esq.
Walton Frederick, esq. St. Cuthbert's pl
Wilkes Mr. John
Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A
Yates Mr. Henry
York Samuel, esq. Brooklands
COMMERCIAL.
Alcock William, stonemason
Austin Frederick, butcher
Austin George, maltster
Bailey George & John, maltsters
Bailey John, farmer, Parkside
Beck Henry, grocer &c
Bidwell Henry, surgeon
Boulton William, manure agent
Brewster Richd. farmer, Harriet's hayes
Bucknall William, farmer, & Crown inn, commercial & posting house, & agent to Allsopp & Sons & Manders, ale, porter & stout brewers
Butler William, wheelwright
Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house
Coombs Lawrence, inland revenue offier
Cope James, mining engineer
Cottrill Thomas, tailor
Delf John, linen draper, silk mercer, milliner, haberdasher, clothier & hattr
Dickins Richard, registrar of births & deaths
Eardley William, saddler
Earp Elizabth.(Mrs.),farmr. Cosford hall
Fletcher Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Hammersley Susanna (Mrs.), milliner
Harper William, coal dealer
Harris Henry, plumber &c.
Howell Thomas, blacksmith
Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth, Wildecot
Jebon Joseph, farmer, Harriet's hayes
Jones Hannah (Mrs.), toy dealer
Jones Harriotte (Miss), dressmaker
Larkin Charles Robert, surgeon
Meredith John, painter & glazier
Molineux George, grocer
Moore Paul, higgler
Moore Thomas, higgler
Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker
Nickolds Edward, shopkeeper
Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker
Noyes Emma & Ann (Misses), school, Davenhill house
Oatley John, farmer, Bishton hall
Patten Margaret (Mrs.), school
Perks Mary (Mrs.), butcher
Perry John, butcher
Pershouse Ezekiel, farmer, Beamish
Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston cross
Ralph John, potato dealer, Poplars
Ridley George & John, wheelwrights
Roberts John, Shrewsbury Arms
Russell Benjamin, tailor &c
Shepherd Richard, miller
Stanley Edward, shoemaker
Steele Alfred, Old Bush
Taylor John, shoemaker
Taylor John, shoemaker. New house
Taylor William, shoemaker, New house
Thomas & Fletcher, builders
Thomas Thomas, carpenter
Tomkins John, grocer
Totty George, bricklayer
Totty John, overseer
Totty William, tailor
Ward John, blacksmith
Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bowling green
Wedge Daniel, bootmaker
Wheeler Bessy (Mrs.), carrier
Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager), Cosford
Yates John, fanner, The Elms

Post Office & Post Office Savings Bask. — Thomas Hammersley, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6.56 a.m.; dispatched at 7.14 p.m. Money orders issued & paid from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m

Insurance Agents : —
London & Liverpool, Henry Beck
Western Life, George Austin

District Fire Office Engine Station, Wm. Bucknal, agent & keeper Thomas Howell, engineer

Registrar of Births & Deaths, Richard Dickins

Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway, William James, station master

National School, Alfred Walker, master; Mrs. Letitia Walker, mistress

Carrier to Wolverhampton.— Mrs. Bessy Wheeler, every monday, Wednesday & Saturday, to the 'Star,' John street Wolverhampton.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shifnal
  • Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of St Mary Shrewsbury
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shifnal
  • Poor Law Union: Shifnal
  • Hundred: Brimstree
  • Province: Canterbury

  1. Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts. ↩