Albrighton Shifnal Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Albrighton is a village, extensive parish, and railway station, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton (its post town), 5 south-east from Shiffnal (its poor-law union and petty sessions town), 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 east-south-east from Shrewsbury, and 148¾ by rail from London, in the Shiffnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shrewsbury county court district, Shiffnal union and rural deanery, South Salop, Salop archdeaconry, and Lichfield bishopric. It is situated on the old turnpike road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an old stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style; it has a tower with 6 beautiful bells, nave, aisles, porch, chancel, a new organ, several monuments, one of which is very curious, of the Early English period of architecture and belonging to the thirteenth century; this monument stands outside the church. The register dates from 1555. The living is a rectorial endowed vicarage, value £625 yearly, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital alternately; the Rev. George Windus Woodhouse, M.A., St. Mary's Hall, Oxford, is the incumbent. A school was built for boys and girls In 1856. Fairs are held on the second Monday in January, first Mondav in March, 23rd of May, and third Mondav in October, for fat and store stocks, sheep, horses, &c. Albrighton Hall, the residence and property of George Jones Barker, Esq., is a neat stucco building, with ornamental pleasure grounds. The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,156, and of the chapelry 78; the area is 3,365a. 0r. 7p. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot (who is lord of the manor), the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., John Jones, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the chief landowners. In this parish are situated the Wolverhampton Waterworks. There are charities of about £70 yearly value.

Parish Clerk, John Totty.

Barker Geo. Jones, esq. Albrighton hall
Bidwell Henry, M.D
Bishton Rev. Henry
Boulton Mr. Thomas
Boulton Mr. William
Bourne Mrs
Briscoe John Edward, esq
Corbett Mr. Richard
Dale Miss
Hooper Mr. Thomas
Hope Richard, esq
Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A
Larkin Charles Robert, esq
Law Mr. Richard
Lord Mrs
Loxdale James, esq. J.P. Sutton house
Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange
Mitchell Mrs
Price Mrs. Hope
Price Richard Hope, esq
Richards Mr. George
Ross Mrs
Sutton. Mr. William
Stubbs Orlando, esq. Whiston cross
Thomas Mrs
Walters Benjamin, esq.
Walton Frederick, esq. St. Cuthbert's pl
Wilkes Mr. John
Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A
Yates Mr. Henry
York Samuel, esq. Brooklands
COMMERCIAL.
Alcock William, stonemason
Austin Frederick, butcher
Austin George, maltster
Bailey George & John, maltsters
Bailey John, farmer, Parkside
Beck Henry, grocer &c
Bidwell Henry, surgeon
Boulton William, manure agent
Brewster Richd. farmer, Harriet's hayes
Bucknall William, farmer, & Crown inn, commercial & posting house, & agent to Allsopp & Sons & Manders, ale, porter & stout brewers
Butler William, wheelwright
Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house
Coombs Lawrence, inland revenue offier
Cope James, mining engineer
Cottrill Thomas, tailor
Delf John, linen draper, silk mercer, milliner, haberdasher, clothier & hattr
Dickins Richard, registrar of births & deaths
Eardley William, saddler
Earp Elizabth.(Mrs.),farmr. Cosford hall
Fletcher Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Hammersley Susanna (Mrs.), milliner
Harper William, coal dealer
Harris Henry, plumber &c.
Howell Thomas, blacksmith
Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth, Wildecot
Jebon Joseph, farmer, Harriet's hayes
Jones Hannah (Mrs.), toy dealer
Jones Harriotte (Miss), dressmaker
Larkin Charles Robert, surgeon
Meredith John, painter & glazier
Molineux George, grocer
Moore Paul, higgler
Moore Thomas, higgler
Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker
Nickolds Edward, shopkeeper
Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker
Noyes Emma & Ann (Misses), school, Davenhill house
Oatley John, farmer, Bishton hall
Patten Margaret (Mrs.), school
Perks Mary (Mrs.), butcher
Perry John, butcher
Pershouse Ezekiel, farmer, Beamish
Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston cross
Ralph John, potato dealer, Poplars
Ridley George & John, wheelwrights
Roberts John, Shrewsbury Arms
Russell Benjamin, tailor &c
Shepherd Richard, miller
Stanley Edward, shoemaker
Steele Alfred, Old Bush
Taylor John, shoemaker
Taylor John, shoemaker. New house
Taylor William, shoemaker, New house
Thomas & Fletcher, builders
Thomas Thomas, carpenter
Tomkins John, grocer
Totty George, bricklayer
Totty John, overseer
Totty William, tailor
Ward John, blacksmith
Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bowling green
Wedge Daniel, bootmaker
Wheeler Bessy (Mrs.), carrier
Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager), Cosford
Yates John, fanner, The Elms

Post Office & Post Office Savings Bask. — Thomas Hammersley, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6.56 a.m.; dispatched at 7.14 p.m. Money orders issued & paid from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m

Insurance Agents : —
London & Liverpool, Henry Beck
Western Life, George Austin

District Fire Office Engine Station, Wm. Bucknal, agent & keeper Thomas Howell, engineer

Registrar of Births & Deaths, Richard Dickins

Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway, William James, station master

National School, Alfred Walker, master; Mrs. Letitia Walker, mistress

Carrier to Wolverhampton.— Mrs. Bessy Wheeler, every monday, Wednesday & Saturday, to the 'Star,' John street Wolverhampton.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.