Albrighton is a village and parish, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton, 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 from Shrewsbury, and 148 ¾ by rail from London, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdalene, supposed to have been built in the thirteenth century, is a stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style, and has several monuments, one of which, standing outside the church, is of the Early English period of architecture, and belongs to the thirteenth century.
The living is rectorially endowed vicarage, yearly value £625, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers’ Company and Christ’s Hospital alternately. “Ralph de Pichford in 1232 fined 40s. with the Crown, for the privilege of holding a market and fair at his manor of Albrighton, for which he obtained the king’s charter, and in 1234 he gave the king the large sum of 300 marks to have marriage of the heirs, and custody of the lands in Ireland, of John Fitz-Dermot.” A school was built for boys and girls in 1856. The charities are of about £70 yearly value. At Pepperhill, on the south-west border of the county, in this parish, is an old mansion belonging to the Talbot family, and now in the possession of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot; it stands on a well wooded eminence, and is built of brick on a base of red sandstone; in the garden is a stone fountain, supposed to have been once an oratory; it is Italian in character and design, but much decayed. In the parish register is recorded the burial of the Duke of Shrewsbury, under date February 23rd, 1717, no place being mentioned, but from this entry it is inferred that he may have resided at Pepperhill. There were formerly several fairs held here, but they have been discontinued for some years. In this parish are the Wolverhampton Water Works. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loan, the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The charities amount to £82. The population of the parish in 1861, was 1,155; the area is 3, 271 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,316; rateable value, £8,800.
Post Office. – Thomas Hammersley, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6.56 a.m.; dispatched at 7.14 p.m.
Registrar of Births and Deaths, Richard Dickins.
Railway station, William O’Beirne.
Barker George Jones, esq. J.P. Albrighton hall
Bishton Rev. Henry
Boulton Mr. William
Briscoe John Edward, esq.
Bucknall George. Esq.
Burd Mrs. Joy house
Corbett Mr. Richard
Dallow Thomas, esq
Davis James, esq.
Dulley Joseph, esq.
Fielding Charles R. esq. Rose cottage
Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A.
Jeavons Joseph, esq. Harriet’s hayes
Lamb Barnabas W. esq.
Law Mr. Richard
Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange
Pace William, esq. Harriet’s hayes
Roberts John, esq.
Sutton Mr. William
Urry Richard, esq.
Walton Fredck. Esq. J.P. St. Cuthbert’s
Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A. Rectory
Austin Frederick, butcher
Austin George, maltster
Bailey George, maltster
Bailey John, Parkside
Beck Henry, grocer
Boulton John, farmer, Bowling green
Boulton John, farmer, The Elms
Boulton William, manure agent
Bucknall William, Crown inn & farmer
Butler William, wheelwright
Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house
Clewley Edward, Shrewsbury arms
Comley George, linen draper
Cottrill Thomas, tailor
Dallow Thomas, solicitor
Duncalfe George C. coal dealer, &c.
Eardley William, saddler
Ferney James, tailor
Fletcher Thomas, boat & shoe maker
Forshaw John, linen draper
Hammersley John, shopkeeper
Hammersley Susanna, milliner
Harris Henry, plumber, &c.
Howell Thomas, blacksmith
Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth
Jeavons Joseph, farmer
Lamb Barnabas W. surgeon
Meredith John, plumber
Molineux George, grocer
Moore Henry, farmer, Beamish
Moore Paul, higgler
Morris David, ale & porter agent
Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker
Nickolds Edward, bricklayer
Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker
Pace William, farmer
Pearce Hannah, Old Bush inn
Perks John, butcher
Perry John, butcher
Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston Cross
Russell Benjamin, tailor
Shepherd Richard, miller, Cosford
Stanley William, shoe maker
Stubbs William H. farmer, Cosford grange
Stevens Hunt, ladies’ boarding school
Sutton William, wheelwright
Taylor John, shoemaker, New house
Taylor William, shoemaker, New house
Tomkins John, grocer
Totty George, bricklayer
Ward John, blacksmith
Weatherby Andrew, contractor, &c.
Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bishton hall
Wedge Daniel, boot maker
Wheeler Bessy, carrier
Wiggins Fanny, beer retailer
Windsor Elizabeth, milliner
Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager),Cosford
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871