Adderley, Shropshire Family History Guide

Adderley is a small village and parish in the extreme north of Shropshire, four miles from Market Drayton, and includes the townships of Adderley, Spoonley, and (ecclesiastically) Shavington. It is in the diocese of Lichfield., archdeaconry of Salop, rural-deanery of Hodnet, and hundred of North Bradford. It has an area of 3,938 acres, and a population of 468 in 1891. In 1676 there were 198 inhabitants over the age of 16, of whom two were Nonconformists.

St Peter's parish church, Adderley, Shropshire, seen from the southeast
St Peter's parish church, Adderley, Shropshire, seen from the southeast. John M / St Peter's Church / CC BY-SA 2.0

Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1692

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Adderley


View Larger Map

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ADDERLEY, a township and a parish in Market Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on the Weaver river and the Nantwich and Market-Drayton railway, 4 miles N of M.-Drayton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Market-Drayton. The parish includes also the township of Shavington and part of the township of Spoonley. Acres, 2,850. Real property, £5,616. Pop., 428. Houses, 75. Adderley Hall is the seat of Richard Corbet, Esq.; and Shavington Hall is the seat of the Earl of Kilmorey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £665. Patron, R. Corbet, Esq. The church is good. Charities, £68.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Adderley Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Adderley, 3 m. N. Drayton. P. 404.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Adderley The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Adderley, a parish in the Drayton division of the hund. of Bradford North, union of Drayton, Shropshire; 4 miles north of Market-Drayton. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £11 6s. 0½d. Patron, in 1829, H. C. Cotton, Esq. There is a small foundation in this parish for the education of poor children. The Birmingham and Liverpool Junction canal runs through this parish. Pop, in 1801, 365; in 1831, 468. Houses 73. Acres 2,260. A. P. £5,603. Poor rates, in 1837, £236.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Adderley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Adderley. A parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. A rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 59 homes, 378 inhabitants. The residence of Sir Andrew Corbet, bart. 3 ½ miles north of Drayton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Adderley Parish Registers

Adderley Parish Registers 1692-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Adderley Parish Registers 1692-1812 - Archive.org

Adderley Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept in a desk in the house of the Clerk, viz : -

Parish Council Minute Book.

Declaration Book.

Receipt and Payment Book.

Pass Book.

Cheque Book.

Financial Statements.

Miscellaneous papers.

Documents in the custody of the Rector. – The following are kept in an iron chest in the Church, viz :-

General Register, 1692 – 1754, then Baptisms and Burials only to 1772.

Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1772 – 1812.

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1883.

Register of Baptisms, 1883 – in use.

Register of Marriages, 1755 – 1812.

Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1836.

Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.

Register of Banns, 1824 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.

Vestry Minute Book, 1846 – in use.

Terrier of Glebe, dated 1752.

Copy of Terrier of Glebe Lands, dated 1836.

Terrier of Lands, Tithe, &c., in Adderley, dated 1884.

Church Rate Assessment Book, 1849 – 1867.

Agreement, with Map, dated February 24th, 1860, between the Landowners of the West of England and South Wales Drainage and Inclosure Company and Richard Corbet, Esq. for draining lands in Moreton Say, Stoke-upon-Tern, Childs Ercall, Adderley, and Drayton-in-Hales.

Justices Certificate of ditto, dated 1861.

Director Certificate of ditto, dated 1863.

Various old deeds and miscellaneous papers, &c., &c.

The following are kept at the rectory, viz :-

Supervisors of Highways Account Book, 1750 – 1801.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1752 – 1802.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1802 – 1863.

Overseer’s Account Book, 1791 – 1822.

Overseer’s Account Book, 1823 – 1835.

Vestry Minute Book, 1784 – 1797.

Vestry Minute Book, 1798 – 1804.

Vestry Minute Book (Rates), 1806 – 1824.

Vestry Minute Book, 1808 – 1813.

Book containing names of recipients of Reynolds Charity 1767 – 1825

Do, 1826 – 1888

Do. 1889 – in use.

Tithe Map and Award, dated 1840.

Deed of Exchange of several pieces of land in Adderley, dated 1790.

Order of Exchange of Lands at Adderley, dated 31st January, 1866.

A Schedule of Deeds and Papers belonging to the Parish of Adderley made the 24th April, 1789.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

 Adderley is a small village and parish, comprising the townships of Adderley, Shavington, and Spoonley, 181 miles by rail from London, and four north from Market Drayton, in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, Market Drayton union, Northern division of the county, and diocese of Litchfield.  The church of St. Peter is a stone building, which was rebuilt about 1800, with the exception of the tower and chapel; the latter is used as a mausoleum for the Kilmorey family; there are several monuments and tablets to the Needham family, and a monument to the late Sir Corbet Corbet, Bart., and two brasses.  The living is a rectory, in the gift of Richard Corbet, Esq., value £666 yearly, with good residence, and 16 acres of glebe land.  The annual charities amount to £48.  there is a school for boys and girls.

Adderley Hall is the residence of Henry Reginald Corbet, Esq., J.P.  Richard Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.  The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, gravel and sand.  Upon the forfeiture of the Norman earls, this manor came into the hands of King Henry I., who gave it, along with Idsall, to Allan de Dunstanvill.  Implicated in the rebellion of the Earl of Lancaster, Lord Badlesmere was taken prisoner at the battle of Boroughbridge, when, being convicted of high treason, the lord of Adderley was drawn, hanged, and beheaded.  The area is about 3,940 acres; the population in 1861 was 428.  Gross estimated rental, £6,820; rateable value, £6,413.
Letters arrive from Market Drayton at 9 15 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.

Adderley
Corbet Rev. Athelston, M.A.
Corbet Henry Reginald, esq. J.P., Adderley hall
Bennion Thomas Platt, farmer, The Lodge
Bourne John, farmer, Adderley Park farm
Duckers John, farmer, The Lees
Evanson John, farmer and farm steward, Adderley farm
Evanson Samuel, estate carpenter and builder
Groucott John, farmer
Hedley George, gamekeeper
Lee John shoe maker
Lee Robert, farmer, Wems farm
Malam Thomas, farmer and butcher
Malam Thomas. Jun., Raven Inn, and farmer
Massey Edward, farmer, Pool house
Moore George, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Simons Joseph, blacksmith
Wilkinson George David, lime merchant
Young Thomas, farmer, Hawksmoor

Spoonley
Lea Samuel, farmer
Lewis William, farmer
Moore Thomas, farmer
Mulliner Thomas, farmer
Parker William, farmer
Reade William, farmer

Morrey
Bourne Samuel, farmer
Davies Joseph, farmer
Lunt Martha, farmer
Williams Joseph, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Adderley Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Adderley is a small rural village and parish, and railway station, comprising the townships of Adderley,  Shavington, and Spoonley, 169 miles by rail and 159 by road north-west from London, 9 west from Whitmore, 4 north from Market Drayton, in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, Market Drayton union and county court district, rural deanery of Whitchurch, Salop archdeaconry, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Peter is a Gothic stone building; it has a square tower, with clock and 3 bells, nave, chancel, transept, aisle, and chapel; it was rebuilt about 1800, with the exception of the tower and chapel; the latter is used as a mausoleum for the Kilmorey family: there are several monuments and tablets to the Needham family, and a monument to the late Sir Corbet Corbet, Bart., and two brasses. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Richard Corbet, Esq., of the value of £666 yearly, with residence and 19 acres of glebe land; the Rev. Athelstane Corbet is the incumbent. There is a school for boys and girls. The acreage is about 3,940; the population in 1861 was 428. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, gravel and sand. The principal residences are Shavington Hall, the seat of the Earl of Kilmorey, at present occupied by Capt. Alfred Hill; and Adderley Hall, the residence of Reginald Corbet, Esq., M.P., J.P. Richard Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.

Adderley.

Corbet Rev. Athelstane [rector]
Corbet Reginald, esq. M.P., J.P.Adderley hall
Hill Capt. Alfred, Shavington hall

Commercial

Bennion Thos. Platt, farmer, The Lodge
Duckers John, farmer, The Lees
Evanson Job, farmer
Groucott John, farmer
Lea James, farmer, New farm
Lee John, shoemaker
Lee Robert, farmer, Wems farm
Lowe John, shoemaker
Malom Thomas, farmer & butcher
Massey Thomas, farmer
Moore George, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Moore Thomas, farmer, Hawksmoor
Roberts James, lime merchant
Simons John, blacksmith
Teece Henry, Raven

Spoonley

Lea Samuel, farmer
Lewis William, farmer
Mulliner Thomas, farmer
Reade William, farmer
Post Office.— Miss Ann Woodcock, postmistress. Letters arrive from Market Drayton at 9.15 a.m.; dispntched at 4 p.m. The nearest monoy order office is at Market Drayton.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
  • Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury