Acton Scott Shropshire Family History Guide

St Margaret's Church, Acton Scott, Shropshire
St Margaret's Church, Acton Scott, Shropshire Philip Pankhurst / St Margaret, Acton Scott / CC BY-SA 2.0

Acton Scott is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Places in Acton Scott parish: Alcaston

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin: 1690

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Acton Scott

Historical Descriptions

Acton Scott

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Acton-Scott, a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop; near the river Onney, under Wenlock Edge, 2 miles E of Marsh Brook r. station, and 3 S of Church-Sretton. Post-town, Church-Stretton. Acres, 1,889. Real property, £2,012. Pop., 207. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £238. Patron, F. W. Pendarvis, Esq. The church is very good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

LEONARD'S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Acton-Scott, 3 miles S. Church-Stretton. P. 204

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Acton Scott (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Church Stretton, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Church Stretton; containing 204 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the new road from Wenlock to Bishop’s Castle, abounds with bold, and in some parts, romantic scenery, and contains by measurement 1600 acres, all cultivated, excepting about 200 under plantation and coppice: the surface is hilly; the soil comprises several varieties, the stone is quarried for building and the repair of roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 10., and in the gift of E. W. W. Pendarves, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £230, and there are 61 acres of glebe. A school is supported.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Acton-Scott, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Church-Stretton, Shropshire; 3 miles south from Church-Stretton, near a branch of the Teme. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £5 10s. Patron, in 1835, Mrs S. Stackhouse. Pop., in 1801, 164; in 1831, 204. Houses 33. Acres 930. A. P. £1,397. Poor rates, in 1837, £125.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Acton Scott. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. A rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 24 houses, 187 inhabitants. 3 miles south of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Alcaston

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alcaston. A township in the parish of Acton Scott, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 8 ½ miles south-east by east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Acton Scott, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Church Stretton Polling District

Acton Scott, Parish of

951 Cleeton William

952 Farmer John, senior

953 Farmer Richard

954 Farmer Thomas

955 Hodgkiss Samuel

956 Jackson Edward, dead

957 Keep George

958 Knott Philip

959 Magee George Adam

960 Mellings William

961 Warren Joseph Loxdale, see 1231

Acton Scott Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Meeting.

(None.)

Documents in the custody of the Rector. – Kept at the Rectory, viz :-

General Register, 1690 – 1754 – then Baptisms and Burials only to 1758.

Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1759 – 1812

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – in use.

Register of Banns, 1866 – in use.

Register of Marriages, 1755 – 1812.

Register of Marriages, 1814 – 1835.

Register of Marriages, 1838 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.

Tithe Map and Award, dated 13th December, 1846, kept in the Vestry.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Acton Scott - Cassey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871

Acton Scott is a parish, 3 ½ miles from Church Stretton, and 1 miles from Marsh Brook station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of the hundred of Munslow, Church Stretton union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Margaret is a neat Gothic stone building.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £238, with residence, and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Mr. Holt.  An Elizabethan parochial school house was erected here in the year 1866, at a cost of £600, exclusive of the site, at the sole expense of Mrs. Stackhouse Acton, and is entirely supported by her; it is free to the children of this and the adjoining parishes.  Mrs. Holt is lady of the manor and principal landowner.  The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, gravel and rock.  Here are charities amounting to £2 2s., given in coals.  The population in 1861 was 207, and the area is 1,889 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,080; rateable value, £1,942.  In 1341 the parish was assessed only £1 6s. 8d. to the ninth, “because the lands were untilled for the want of means.  There were no sheep,” &c.

Alcaston, or Alciston, a township in the parish of Acton Scott, is situated about 1 mile from the parish church.  It was formerly a Roman settlement.  J. Loxdale Warren, Esq., J.P., is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil.

Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 45 p.m.

Acton Mrs. Stackhouse, The Hall
Magee Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
Blackhurst James, farmer, Alcaston
Cleeton William, farmer, Helmley
Hayward Edwin, farmer, Castle hill
Hayward Thomas, shopkeeper
Hotchkiss Joseph, blacksmith
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer, Church farm
Keep George, farmer
Knott Philip, farmer, Little Oakwood
Mellings William, farmer
Parrott John, farmer, Alcaston
Thorpe Richard, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Acton Scott Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

ACTON SCOTT is a township and parish, 3½ miles south-south-east from Church Stretton, and about 1 mile from Marsh Brook station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, Church Stretton union, Ludlow county court district, rural deanery of Wenlock, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, pleasantly situated on an eminence above the Shrewsbury and Ludlow road. The church of St. Margaret has a tower and 3 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value £238, with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of F. W. Pendarvis, Esq., the lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. George Magee, M.A. The Mansion, in the occupation of Mrs. Stackhouse Acton, is in the Elizabethan style; the grounds are spacious, and tastefully laid out. At the census of 1861 the parish contained a population of 207 inhabitants, with 1,889 acres.

Alcaston or Alciston, a township in the parish of Acton Scott, is situated about 1 mile from the parish church. It was formerly a Roman settlement. Loxdale Warren, Esq., is lord of the manor.

Oakwood Cottage and Church Farm are places here.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Jackson.

Acton Mrs. Stackhouse,The Hall
Mngee Rev. George, M.A. Rectory
Warren Loxdale, esq. Alcaston
Hayward Thomas, shopkeeper
Hotchkiss Joseph, blacksmith
Hotchkiss Samuel, farmer, Church farm
Keep George, farmer
Kinsey John, farmer, Alcaston
Knott Philip, farmer, Little Oakwood
Mansell John, farmer
Parker Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Thorpe Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Post Office. — Thomas Hayward, receiver, Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Church Stretton
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury