Acton Round is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1731 from chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.
Places included in Acton Round parish: Muckley
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1713
Parishes adjacent to Acton Round
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Acton-Round, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; near Wenlock Edge, 5 miles W by S of Linley r. station, and 6½ WNW of Bridgnorth. Post-town, Burton under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 2,126. Rated property, £1,400. Pop., 173. Houses, 36. Sir F. R. E. Acton, Bart., of Aldenham Hall, is the chief proprietor; and Cardinal Acton belonged to his family. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £85. Patron, Sir F. R. E. Acton. The church is ancient and cruciform, has a small tower, contains three fine monuments of the Acton family, and was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Acton-Round, 5½ m. N.W. Bridgenorth. P. 180
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton Round, a parish, in the union of Bridgenorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 3 ¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Much Wenlock, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Bridgenorth; containing 180 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Much Wenlock to Bridgenorth, comprises by computation 2126a. 2r. 26p. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £74; patron and impropriator, Sir John Acton, Bart. Certain tithes were commuted for land under an inclosure act in 1773: there are about 25 acres of glebe, of which 14 are near Bromsgrove in Worcestershire, and 11 in the parish of Stottesden. The church is a neat edifice, of which the walls are ornamented with monuments to the memory of the Actons, by one of whom, Sir Richard, the chancel was built in 1761.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acton-Round, a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Bridgnorth, Shropshire; 3 miles south from Much-Wenlock. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; valued in the parliamentary return at £59; gross in come £74. Patron, in 1835, Sir R. Acton. Pop., in 1801, 200; in 1831, 203. Houses 37. Acres, 3,040. A. P. £1,110. Poor rates, in 1837, £81.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Acton Round. A township in the parish of Much Wenlock, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden. 3 miles south of Much Wenlock. 38 homes, 214 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Acton Round, Poll Book 1865
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bridgnorth Polling District
Acton Round, Parish of
409 Embrey Thomas
410 Farmer Edward, see 471
411 Farmer George Webster
412 Meredith William
413 Wellings Richard
Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
(The living of Acton Round is vacant at present)
Documents in the custody of the Parish Meeting. – Kept at the house of the Clerk, viz :-
Parish Meeting Minute Book.
Parish Meeting Stamp.
Certain Documents relating to the Parish Charity.
Documents in the custody of the Churchwarden. – Kept in an oak chest in the Vestry, viz :-
General Register, 1713 – 1799.
Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1800 – 1812
Register of Baptisms, 1813 – in use
Register of Marriages, 1768 – 1814.
Register of Marriages, 1814 – 1837.
Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.
Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1674 – 1752
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1752 – 1796
Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.
Acton Round (inc. Muckley) – Cassey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871
Acton Round is a parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miles north-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford. The church is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1850. The living is a vicarage, value £65 yearly, in the gift of Lord Acton. The charities consist of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton.
Acton Round Hall is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of the vicar. Lord Acton, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Wenlock, are the principal landowners. The Timplars [sic] were introduced into Shropshire by the Fitz-Alms, lords of Acton Round; they are known to have built round churches. Sir Thomas Boteler, vicar of Much Wenlock, about the middle of the 16th century, says, that “the chapell of Acton Round was sometime round like a temple.” The population in 1861 was 173; the area is 1,940 acres. Gross estimated rental, £1,854; rateable value, £1,760.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth.
Gibson Rev. John, M.A., The Hall
Ainsworth Ann, farmer and miller
Dorrall Richard, farmer, Shirlett
Pointon Edward, farmer, Kite’s nest
Preen Edward, farmer, Shirlett
Wadlow Joseph, farmer, Hall farm
Weaver J., farmer, Shirlett
Wicks Richard, farmer, Shirlett
Wyer Richard, farmer, Monkhall grange
Farmer George Webster, farmer, Muckley cross
Meredith William, farmer
Powell Francis, Wheelwright
Wellings Richard, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Acton Round Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863
Acton Round, or Round Acton, is a township and parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miles north-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union and county court district, South Salop, rural deanery of Wenlock, Salop archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road between Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock. The church (name unknown) is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1830; it consists of a small tower, nave, transept, porch, chancel, 2 bells, three handsome monuments to the memory of the Acton family, and a font. The register dates from the year 1651. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £60 yearly, in the gift of Sir J. Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Bart.; the Rev. John Gibson, B.A.. Trinity College, Dublin, is the incumbent. Acton Round Hall, formerly the seat of a branch of the Acton family, is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of Miss Wadlow. The population in 1861 was 173; the acreage is 1,940. The soil is a strong clay; the subsoil is similar. Sir John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Bart., is lord of the manor. Lord Sudeley and Sir J. E. E. D. Acton, Bart., M.P., are the chief landowners. There are charities of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton.
Parish Clerk, Francis Taylor.
Gibson Rev. John, B.A. The Hall
Ainsworth Ann (Mrs.), former & miller
Chune George, farmer, Shirlett
Davies Richd. farmer, Lower Monk hall
Embrey Thomas, farmer, Monk hall
Farmer Penelope (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Monk hall
Littleford Samuel, farmer, Lit. Spoonhill
Low Wm. gamekeeper & farmer, Shirlett
Preen William, farmer, The Floors
Tippen Edward, farmer, Kite’s nest
Wadlow Ann (Miss), farmer, Hall farm
Wadlow Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Evans Richard, farmer
Evason William, shoemaker
Lewis Thomas, farmer
Powell Francis, wheelwright
Wellings Richard, farmer, Cross
Letters are received through Bridgnorth, & Much Wenlock is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury