Acton Burnell

Photo of Acton Burnell Church and Castle. An example of church, castle and also a later hall, being close together. St Mary's Church is mainly 13C, with a Victorian tower. The castle is actually a fortified manor house, the oldest example in England. It was built by Robert Burnell c.1284. Each corner has a tower 12m high. There also is a huge barn, older than the house and said to have been used for a meeting of Parliament. by Humphrey Bolton, some rights reserved.

Acton Burnell Shropshire Family History

Acton Burnell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Acton Pigot, Ruckley and Langley.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1568

There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and a school for the children of Roman Catholics.

Parishes adjacent to Acton Burnell

  • Church Preen
  • Cound
  • Pitchford
  • Cardington
  • Kenley
  • Frodesley

Historical Descriptions

Acton Burnell

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Acton-Burnell, a township and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The township lies 4 miles ENE of Dorrington r. station, and 8¼ SSE of Shrewsbury; and it has a post-office under Shrewsbury, and is the meet of the Wheatland hounds. Pop., 283. Houses, 56. The parish contains also the townships of Ruckley and Langley. Acres, 3,141. Real property, £3,839. Pop., 361. Houses, 72. Acton Park is the seat of Sir C. F. Smythe, Bart., the only landowner. A ruin on Acton hill, with very thick walls and curiously carved pointed windows, is part of a castle which was built in the 13th century, and belonged to the family of Burnell. The lords of Edward I’s parliament of 1283, which passed “Statutum de mercatoribus,” sat in a hall of the castle, while the commons sat in an adjacent barn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; and includes the chapelry of Acton-Pigott. Value, £350. Patron, Rev. R. Meyricke. The church contains a canopied brass of a Burnell, and is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Acton-Burnell, a parish and township in the hund. of Condover, union of Atcham, Shropshire; 7½ miles south of Shrewsbury. It includes the chapelries of Acton-Pigott, and Ruckley with Langley. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £6 10s.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, Sir Edward Smythe. There is a National school here. Here are the remains of an ancient castle, built in the 13th century, which belonged to the family of Burnell. The walls are very thick, and adorned with five battlements and rows of curiously carved windows. A parliament was held here by Edward I. in 1283, on which occasion the lords sat in the castle, and the commons in a barn, which was in existence lately. The hall of the castle, where the lords sat, was 183 feet long by 41 broad. It was in this parliament that the statute, known by the name of the statute of Acton-Burnell, was made for the purpose of enforcing the statutum de mercatoribus. It appoints the mode in which a statute-merchant is to be made, and by whom; fixes the manner of seizing and valuing goods for the payment of debts; in what cases the debtor shall be imprisoned, and how maintained in prison; when sureties shall be compelled to pay the debts of their principals, and when they are to be exempted, &c. Pop., in 1801, 272; in 1831, 381. Houses 61. Acres 2,650. A. P. £1,824. Poor rates, in 1837, £179

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Acton-Burnell, 7 m. N.E. Church-Stretton. P. 394

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Acton-Burnell (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 7 miles (S.) from Shrewsbury; containing, with Ruckley and Langley, 394 inhabitants. This place, which is of considerable antiquity, is on a branch of the Roman Watling-street, which passes through it; it takes the adjunct to its name from the family of Burnell, of whom Robert, Bishop of Bath and Wells, and Lord High Chancellor in the reign of Edward I., had a castle here, of which there are still some remains. In 1283, a great council or parliament was held here, at which was enacted the law of “statute merchant:” the king and his court were accommodated in the castle, the lords assembled in a great hall erected for them in the park, and the commons met in a very large barn belonging to Shrewsbury Abbey, of which the gable ends have been preserved to the present time. Besides the Watling-street, a causeway passes through the parish; and there is a Roman bridge, and an early specimen of Saxon antiquity called the Moat. The parish comprises by computation 2400 acres. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Langley, valued in the King’s books at £6. 10., and in the gift of Sir E. J. Smythe, Bart., with a net income of £350; the glebe consists of about 70 acres, with a good house. The church, which is cruciform, was built in 1264, and is a splendid specimen of ecclesiastical architecture; its internal decorations are of a highly ornamental character. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and a school for the children of Roman Catholics. Nicholas Burnell, a distinguished warrior in the reign of Edward III., was born and buried here; and Langley Hall was the birth-place of Sir Humphrey Lee, the first baronet created in the county, in 1629.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Acton Burnell. A parish in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover. A rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 62 houses, 305 inhabitants. The residence of Sir Edward Smythe, bart. 7 miles south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

COMPLETE POCKET GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1807

Acton Burnel, (Salop) a village about 3 miles west of Cressage. It derives its name from the Burnels, who had a castle here, some part of which remains in the present mansion. A session of parliament was held here in the reign of Edw. I. when the statute merchant for the recovery of debts was enacted in a barn belonging to Shrewsbury Abbey

Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.

Acton Pigott

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Acton-Pigott, a chapelry in Ruckley township, Acton-Burnell parish, Salop; 1 mile NE of Acton-Burnell. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Acton-Pigot, a hamlet, in the parish of Acton-Burnell, union of Church Stretton, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 6 ¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Much Wenlock, comprising 391 acres, and containing 40 persons. There was formerly a chapel, the remains of which still exist. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Acton Pigott. A township in the parish of Acton Burnel, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Langley

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Langley. A parish in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, a chapel to Acton Burnel, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 6 miles west of Wenlock. Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Acton Burnell Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Meeting. – Kept by the Chairman, viz: -

Parish Meeting Minute Book.

Documents in the custody of the Rector. – Kept in a safe in the Rectory, viz :-

General Register, 1568 – 1667 General Register, 1693 – 1754 – then Baptisms and Burials only to 1813. Register of Baptisms, 1813 – in use. Register of Marriages, 1754 – 1812. Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1838. Register of Marriages, 1838 – in use. Register of Burials, 1813 – in use. Tithe Map and Award, dated 7th January, 1846, kept at the Rectory.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Parish Registers

Acton Burnell Parish Registers 1800 to 1812
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1810 to 1812
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1805 to 1809
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1800 to 1804
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1795 to 1799
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1790 to 1794
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1785 to 1789
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1780 to 1784
Acton Burnell Baptisms and Burials 1775 to 1779

Acton Burnell Shropshire - Roman Catholic Register

Shropshire parish registers: Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903) Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Acton Burnell Shropshire Roman Catholic Register - Archive.org

Directories

Acton Burnell Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Acton Burnell Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Acton Burnell Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863
Ruckley and Langley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Ruckley and Langley - Casey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Condover
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Condover
  • Province: Canterbury
  • County Court District: Shrewsbury