Last updated on April 23rd, 2017
Shropshire is bounded, North by a detached part of Flintshire and Cheshire; East by Staffordshire; South by Worcestershire and Herefordshire; and on the West by Radnorshire, Montgomeryshire, and Denbighshire. It is about 44 miles long, and 28 broad; and is divided into 15 divisions — Bradford (North), Bradford (South), Brimstrey, Chirbury, Condover, Ford, Munslow, Oswestry, Overs, Pimhill, Purslow, Stokesden, Bridgnorth, Shrewsbury, and Wenlock. Rivers: the Severn, the Camlet, the Trine, and the Clunn. It has 16 Market-Towns. Is in the Province of Canterbury, partly in the Diocese of Hereford, and partly in that of Litchfield and Coventry; and it is in the Oxford Circuit. It contains 1341 square miles, or 856,240 acres. Population, 239,041.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.