Dornoch, a town and parish of Sutherlandshire, Scotland, on the N. coast of the Firth of Dornoch, 25 miles N.E. from Dingwall. The bishops of Caithness resided here up to the time of the revolution. Gilbert Murray, one of them, is supposed to have built the cathedral in the 13th century, and was canonized under the name of St. Gilbert. Post town, Inverness. Po . of par. 3000; of town, 600.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.