One of the Shetland islands, lying about midway between the Shetland and Orkney islands, twenty-five miles south by west from the nearest point of Dunrossness, of which parish it forms a part, and with which the population is included. It is three miles in length, two in breadth, and being surrounded with high precipitous rocks, is in accessible on every side, except at a small creek on the east, where there is security for small vessels belonging to the fishermen. The soil is fertile, but is principally appropriated to pasture for sheep, noted for the superior quality of their wool. This is a resort of the Skud-Gull, and here may still be seen the remains of the humble hut occupied by the Duke of Medina Celi after the wreck of the flag-ship of the Spanish Armada on this island, in 1588.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.