Raasay, or Raaza, shire of Inverness, S. Pop. with Pa.
One of the Hebrides, or Western Islands, constituting a part of the parish of Portree. It lies between the mainland of Scotland and the Island of Skye, and extends about sixteen miles in length and two in breadth, containing about 16,000 acres. The general aspect of the island is mountainous, the land gradually rising from the level of the western shore towards the east, where the cliffs are almost perpendicular. It is chiefly appropriated for pasturage, but there are several spots of fertile arable land. Free stone and limestone are found in abundance; and not far from Raasay House are large quantities of fine porphyry. There are several ancient chapels on the island, one of which, at the kirktown of Raasay, is still used as a place of interment. On the coast towards the north-east, on the summit of a rock, stands the mined fortress of Castle Broichin, formerly the seat of the Macleods, lairds of Raasay, well known as a land mark for sailors.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.