Dunbar, a seaport. and market and post town of Scotland, in Haddingtonshire, at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, 26 miles E. from Edinburgh. It is also a royal and parliamentary borough, forming part of the Haddington district of boroughs. The principal street is broad and spacious. The harbour is difﬁcult of access, but one of great safety for shipping. The town has a parish church, a free church, and numerous chapels for nonconformists, assembly-rooms, town-hall, and public libraries. The ruins of Dunbar Castle stand at the entrance to the harbour, on some rocks which project into the sea. After the battle of Bannockburn, Edward II. took refuge in this fortress, and afterwards pursued his ﬂight by sea to Berwick. In 1337 Black Agnes, the countess of Dunbar, defended it for nineteen weeks against the earl of Salisbury. Dunbar was erected into a royal burgh by David II. ; and here, in 1650, the Scotch royalists were defeated by Cromwell. Manf. Cordage and sail-cloth; the town also contains some iron-foundries, breweries, and distilleries, and the herring ﬁshery forms an important branch of local industry. Mar. D. Tues. P0p. of royal bor. 3796; of parl. bor. 3516. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Edinburgh and Berwick (East Coast Route) of the North British Railway.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.