Cupar Angus, a parish and market and post town in Perth and Forfar, Scotland, on a small rivulet which falls into the Isla, 13 miles N.E. from Perth. Manf. Linen and leather. Mar. D. Thurs. Pop. of parish, 2929. It is a station on the Dundee, Newtyle, and Alyth branch of the Caledonian Railway, and also a telegraph station.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
ABBEY, one of the eleven ecclesiastical subdivisions of the par. of Arbroath, in Forfarshire, Scotland. The living, val. £100, is within the presb. of Arbroath, and in the gift of the pew-holders. In the year 1178, a Tyronensian mitred abbey was founded here by William the Lion, whose remains were interred here. The estate is now in the family of the Panmures.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
Aberlemno, a parish in the shire of Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles from Brechin; containing 194 houses and 945 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Aberbrothwick, a royal burgh of Scotland, in the county of Angus or Forfar, 15 miles from St. Andrew’s, and 40 from Edinburgh; containing 622 houses and 4943 inhabitants, of whom 1839 were returned employed in various trades. It is seated at the mouth of the river Brothwick, as its name imports. The port is of great antiquity, and has a good coasting trade for coals and lime. The manufactures here are chiefly of brown linens or Osnaburghs. It exports thread, barley, and wheat to England; and imports flax, flax-seed, and timber from the Baltic. View full post…