Aberdeenshire, a maritime county of Scotland, containing the districts of Mar, Garioch, Strathbogie, Formartine, and Buchan, and bounded on the N. and E. by Banff and the North Sea, on the W. by Banff and Inverness, and on the S. by Perth, Forfar, and Kincardine. It occupies the central portion of an extensive promontory running out into the North Sea, between the friths of Tay and Moray. Area, 1970 square miles, being the fifth in size of the Scotch counties. Desc. Generally hilly and mountainous in the south-west. There is much excellent pasture in the high parts; and the level tract, Strathbogie, contains many well cultivated farms. Its principal rivers are the Dee, the Don, the Ythan, the Ugie, and the Deveron, with their respective tributaries. Some of its parishes are almost wholly covered with wood, the natural consisting of alder, poplar, birch, and mountain-ash; and the planted chiefly of Scotch firs and larch. The fir timber of the forest of Mar for quality and size stands highest in the British Isles: oats and turnips are raised in great quantities, and a considerable number of cattle are fed annually for the principal English markets. By the Reform Bill of 1867 the county was divided into two parts, namely, East Aberdeen and West Aberdeen, each returning one member to the imperial parliament. Pop. 221,569.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.