Wing is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1625
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WING, a parish, with a village, in Uppingham district, Rutland; ¾ mile SSE of Manton r. station, and 3 NE by Noof Uppingham. Post town, Uppingbam. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £2,823. Pop., 342. Houses, 75. The manor was anciently called Wenge, was long held by the Montfords, and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. A very ancient maze is near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £340. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Uppingham, near the road to Oakham; containing 302 inhabitants. It comprises 1044a. 3r. 6p.; the surface is hilly, and the soil in general a good red earth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £7. 5. 5., and in the gift of the Crown, with a net income of £340 per annum: there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 195 acres of land.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uppingham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Uppingham