Uppingham is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Rutland.
Parish church: Saints Peter and Paul
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists in Uppingham include: Baptist, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Uppingham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Uppingham, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Rutland. The town stands 3 miles SSW of Manton r. station, and 6 S of Oakham; is a seat of county courts; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a head post-office, two banking offices, a hotel, an ancient church restored in 1861, and surmounted by a lofty spire, four dissenting chapels, a new cemetery formed at a cost of more than £6,000, a famous grammar-school, a national school, a workhouse, charities £53, a weekly market on Wednesday, and fairs on 7 March and 7 July. The grammar-school was founded in the time of Elizabeth; was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £40,000; has a chapel in the decorated English style, built in 1865, at a cost of nearly £6,000; includes accommodation for from 250 to 300 boarders; holds two scholarships of £70 a year each, and three exhibitions at the universities; had Archbishop Manners Sutton, Bishops Ferne and Bramston, and Lord Chancellor Manners for pupils; and has, in connexion with it, an hospital-charity for decayed tradesmen, widows, and others. Pop. of the town, in 1861, 2,176. Houses, 392. The parish comprises 1,210 acres. Real property, £.9,201; of which £140 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,068; in 1861, 2,186. Houses, 397. The manor belonged to the Montforts; passed to the Beauchamps, the Cecils, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £661. Patron, the Bishop of P. Jeremy Taylor was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
UPPINGHAM (St. Peter and St. Paul), a markettown and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 6 miles (S.) from Oakham, and 89 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 2034 inhabitants. The name of this place is descriptive of its elevated situation. The town consists principally of one good street, with a square area in the centre, and is tolerably well paved; the houses are commodious and well built, and the inhabitants are supplied with water from a spring in the, upper part of the town. The air, though keen, is pure and salubrious, and the surrounding country is pleasingly diversified. The market, granted by Edward I. in 1280 to Peter de Montford, is held on Wednesday, and is well supplied with corn and cattle; fairs take place on March 7th and July 7th, chiefly for horses, horned-cattle, and sheep, and also for coarse linen-cloth. The powers of the county debt-court of Uppingham, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Uppingham, and part of that of Billesden. The town is situated on the roads from London to Melton-Mowbray, and from Stamford to Leicester, and is about three miles distant from the river Welland, which divides the county of Rutland from Northamptonshire. The lands are on the lias formation, possessing its peculiar features of long ridges of low but steep hills separated by fertile valleys. The soil is of a red appearance; beneath, to the depth generally of two or three feet, is a shaly red stone, and under this, as far as it has been worked, either a red stone, or a blue stone encrusted with red, of variable thickness, and a very stiff blue clay which makes good bricks. The red stone is soft and easily worked; the blue is much harder: both are used for building.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £20. 0. 10.; net income, £661; patron, the Bishop of London: the glebe comprises about 265 acres. The church, situated on the south side of the square, is a spacious structure in the ancient English style, with a tower surmounted by a lofty spire. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The free grammar school (adjoining the churchyard) and an hospital for poor men were founded in 1584, by Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, and rector of North Luffenham, in this county, who instituted a similar school and hospital at Oakham, which see. Many eminent persons have been educated in the school, including Dr. Charles Manners Sutton, Archbishop of Canterbury; Lord Manners, late chancellor of Ireland; Dr. Henry Feme, Bishop of Chester; and Dr. Bramston, Roman Catholic Bishop of the London district. The celebrated Jeremy Taylor was rector of Uppingham. The poor-law union comprises 35 parishes or places, of which 16 are in Leicestershire, and 19 in Rutland, the whole containing a population of 10,049.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Family History Links
- County: Rutland
- Civil Registration District: Uppingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Rutland
- Poor Law Union: Uppingham
- Hundred: Martinsley; Wrangdyke
- Province: Canterbury