Tickencote is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TICKENCOTE, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; 3 miles NW of Stamford r. station. Post town, Stamford. Acres, 1,256. Real property, £1,511. Pop., 104. Houses, 21. The manor, with T. Hall, belongs to J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £138. Patron, J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1792.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
TICKENCOTE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 111 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to York, and comprises 1270 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 5. 8., and in the gift of John Wingfield, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £162. 9., and the glebe comprises 3½ acres. The church was in the earliest Norman style, but has been partially rebuilt: Stukeley says,
it is the most venerable church extant, and was the entire oratory of Prince Peada, founder of Peterborough Abbey.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham
Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)