South Luffenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Mary; St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LUFFENHAM (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands ½ a mile S by W of Luffenham r. station, and 6½ SW of Stamford; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 1,417 acres. Real property, £1,896. Pop., 400. Houses, 82. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Aveland. The Hall is occupied by the Misses Wingfield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £423. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church is variously Norman, early English, decorated, and perpendicular; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch and W tower; and was repaired in 1861. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LUFFENHAM, SOUTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Uppingham; containing 317 inhabitants. It is on the road from Stamford to Uppingham and Leicester, and comprises 1248a. 22p.; the surface is hilly, and the soil of moderate quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 12. 6.; net income, £423; patron and impropriator, the Rev. James Bush. The glebe contains 60 acres, with a house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uppingham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Uppingham