Ryhall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire. Essendine is a chapelry of Ryhall.
Alternative names: Ryhall with Essendine, Ryehall
Other places included in the parish: Belmisthorpe, Blemisthorpe
Parish church: St. John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
- Stamford All Saints with St Peter, Lincolnshire
- Uffington, Lincolnshire
- Careby with Holywell and Aunby, Lincolnshire
- Stamford St George with St Paul, Lincolnshire
- Great Casterton
- Carlby, Lincolnshire
- Little Casterton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RYHALL, a village and a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland. The village stands on the river Gwash, ½ a mile N W of the Stamford and Lynn railway, and 2¾ NNE of Stamford; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stamford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Belmisthorpe, and comprises 2,070 acres. Real property, £4,118. Pop. in 1851, 1,075; in 1861, 847. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Harding the Saxon; passed to Earl Siward, the Spencers, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a vicarage, united with Essendine, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £280. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church is of the time of Henry IV.; was restored in 1857; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
RYEHALL (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Stamford; containing, with the chapelry of Essendine, and the hamlet of Belmisthorpe, 830 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2580 acres. The soil is various; the surface is partly hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by a rivulet which sometimes overflows. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £13. 17.; net income, £295; patron and impropriator, the Marquess of Exeter: the glebe comprises 164 acres. The church is chiefly in the later English style, with a tower and spire of earlier date; in the chancel are two sedilia of stone. There is a chapel of ease at Essendine.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stamford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Stamford
Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)