Historical Descriptions of Rutland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Rutland (or Rutlandshire), inland co. of England, bounded W. and N. by Leicestershire, NE. by Lincolnshire, and SE. by Northamptonshire; greatest length, N. and S., 18 miles; greatest breadth, E. and W., 17 miles; area, 94,889 ac., pop. 21,434. Rutland is the smallest county in England. The surface is diversified by gently rising hills and fine valleys, and is watered by the Eye Brook, the Chater, and the Gwash, flowing into the Welland, which forms the south-eastern boundary. The soil is in general loamy and fertile; in the east part it is chiefly in tillage, and in the west part under grass. The chief crops are wheat and barley. Great attention is paid to rearing choice breeds both of cattle and sheep. (For agricultural statistics, see Appendix.) In the Vale of Catmose, round Oakham, are tracts of woodland, the remains of old forests. The prevailing rock is limestone. Rutland was made a county by Henry III., and gives the title of duke to the family of Manners. It contains 5 hundreds, 57 pars, and part of another, and the market-towns of Oakham (where the assizes are held) and Uppingham; it has no parliamentary or municipal boroughs. It is in the diocese of Peterborough. It returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members until 1885.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer 1850
Is bounded, North-east by Lincolnshire, South-east and South by Northamptonshire, and West by Leicestershire. It is about 18 miles long, and 15 broad, and is divided into five Hundreds: Alstoe, East, Martinsley, Oakhamsoke, and Wrandike. Rivers ; the Guash, or the Wash, and the Wetland. It has 2 Market-Towns; is in the Province of Canterbury, partly in the Diocese of Peterborough, and partly in that of Lincoln, and in the Midland Circuit; and contains 149 square miles, or 95,360 acres. Population, 21,302.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Parishes in Rutland
- Barrow, Rutland
- Barrowden, Rutland
- Beaumont Chase, Rutland
- Belton, Rutland
- Bisbrooke, Rutland
- Braunston, Rutland
- Brooke, Rutland
- Burley, Rutland