Pilton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1548
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PILTON, a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland; on the river Chater, and on the Syston and Peterborough railway, 2 miles W of Luffenham r. station, and 4 NE of Uppingham. Post-town, Uppingham. Acres, 332. Real property, £525. Pop., 72. Houses, 13. The manor belongs to Lord Aveland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £101. Patron, Lord Aveland. The church was partly rebuilt in 1852.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PILTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 4¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Uppingham; containing 74 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 330 acres, is bounded by the small river Charter on the north. The soil on that side is a strong clay, and on the south is found an abundance of limestone; the surface is undulated. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4. 17. 3½., and in the gift of Sir Gilbert Heathcote, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £84. 10., and the glebe comprises 18 acres of land.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uppingham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Uppingham