Normanton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland.
Parish church: St Matthew
Parish registers begin: 1755
Parishes adjacent to Normanton
- Edith Weston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Normanton, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on the river Gwash, 3½ miles W.N.W. of Ketton r. station, and 5 E.S.E. of Oakham. Post-town, Oakham. Acres, 2,450. Real property, £1,158. Pop., 59. Houses, 7. The manor belonged to the Norman villes; passed to the Basings and the Mackworths; and belongs now to Lord Aveland. Normanton Park is Lord Aveland's seat; and the mansion is a beautiful edifice, on an eminence; while the grounds are extensive, and include a well-stocked deer-park. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £156. Patron, Lord Aveland. The church stands in the park; is a small, old, rustic building; and has been considerably improved.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
[gallery type="rectangular" ids="141033,141016"]
Family History Links
- County: Rutlandshire
- Civil Registration District: Oakham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Rutland
- Poor Law Union: Oakham
- Hundred: Martinsley
- Province: Canterbury