Morcott is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: General Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Morcott
- North Luffenham
- South Luffenham
- Seaton with Thorpe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORCOTT, a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Chater, and on the Rugby and Stamford railway, 2 miles SW of Luffenham r. station, and 4 E by N of Uppingham; and has a post office under Uppingham. The railway passes under part of it. The parish comprises 1,343 acres. Real property, £3,185. Pop. in 1851, 667; in 1861, 494. Houses, 118. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of labourers employed on the railway. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Morcott Hall, belongs to S. R. Fydell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value. £440. Patron, Mrs. Thorold. The church is Norman, in good condition; has a tower, with short lead-covered spire; and contains an old monument of W. de Overton. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and an endowed hospital for six poor unmarried persons, each of whom receives £36 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Morcott, co. Rutland.
P. T. Uppingham (89) 4 m. E b N. Pop. 443.
A parish in the hundred of Wrangdike; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Northampton and diocese of Peterborough; valued in K. B. 10l. 19s. 7d.; patron, the Rev E. Thorold. The church, which is Ded. to St. Mary, is an old Gothic edifice, but contains nothing remarkable, except an ancient monument, without date, in the south wall, with an old Norman-French inscription. Here is an hospital for six poor unmarried men or women, with an allowance of 6l. per annum each.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Rutlandshire
- Civil Registration District: Uppingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Rutland
- Poor Law Union: Uppingham
- Hundred: Wrangdyke
- Province: Canterbury