Lyndon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Martin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LYNDON, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on the river Chater, 1¾ mile E of Manton r. station, and 4½ NE of Uppingham. Post town, Uppingham. Acres, 902. Real property, £1,527. Pop., 126. Houses, 27. The manor, with Lyndon Hall, belongs to E. N. Conant, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £190. Patron, E. N. Conant, Esq. The church is old; has a tower; and was restored and enlarged in 1866, at a cost of about £1,500. The churchyard contains a monumental tablet to Whiston the translator of Josephus. Charities, £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LYNDON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 5 miles (N. E.) from Uppingham; containing 100 inhabitants. This parish, which was formerly part of that of Hambleton, comprises 895a. 2r. 15p. of land, bounded on the south by the small rivulet Chater, and lying in ridges extending from west to east. The soil on the high grounds is good red earth, and on the sides of the ridges whitish clay of inferior quality; the substratum is a hard limestone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 17. 1., and in the patronage of the Misses Barker: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £24, and the rectorial for £175; the glebe contains 14 acres, with a house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham