Lyddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire. Caldecott is a chapelry of Lyddington.
Alternative names: Liddington, Lyddington with Caldecote
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1563
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LIDDINGTON, a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands 2 miles S by E of Uppingham, and 2½ W by S of Seaton r. station; is very ancient; was formerly a market-town, and of much larger size than now; and has a post office under Uppingham. The parish comprises 2,020 acres. Real property, £4,543. Pop., 613. Houses, 138. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. The custom of borough English prevails. Liddington House is the seat of T. J. Bryan, Esq. A palace of the bishops of Lincoln stood here; was converted, in 1602, into an hospital for a warden, 12 men and 2 women, with endowment now yielding £116 a year; and the hall of it still stands, shows features of ancient splendour, and retains its old painted glass windows. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Caldicott, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £420. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and short spire; and contains an ancient screen and some well-preserved brasses. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with about £10 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LIDDINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Uppingham; containing 589 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2240 acres: the soil is various, but the greater portion a dark stiff clay, and tolerably fertile; the surface is diversified with hills. The village is pleasantly situated in a valley watered by the river Welland, near which are some rich meadows. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln: the great tithes have been commuted for £216. 11., and the vicarial for £221. At Caldecott is a chapel of ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A palace formerly belonging to the bishops of Lincoln, a fine structure in the early English style, with a large hall, having painted windows, has been converted into an hospital for a warden, twelve brethren, and two nurses; the charity was founded in 1600, by Sir Thomas Cecil, Lord Burghley, and is called Jesus’ Hospital.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uppingham
Probate Court: Pre-1851 – Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Liddington, Post-1850 – Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pre-1851 – None, Post-1850 – Rutland
Poor Law Union: Uppingham