Little Casterton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Other places in the parish include: Tolethorpe.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
- Stamford All Saints with St Peter, Lincolnshire
- Stamford St George with St Paul, Lincolnshire
- Great Casterton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTERTON (Little), a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland; on the river Gwash, near the Leicester and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles N by W of Stamford. It includes the hamlet of Tolethorpe; and its Post Town is Stamford. Acres, 1,450. Real property, £2,117. Pop., 118. Houses, 24. The manor belongs to Lord Chesham. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Tolethorpe, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £254. Patron, Lord Chesham. The church is partly Norman and later English, but has been modernized. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CASTERTON, LITTLE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Stamford; containing 132 inhabitants. This parish includes the ancient hamlet of Tolethorpe, where was a college of priests or a chantry, refounded, and endowed with ten marks per annum, in the 36th of Edward III. by William de Burton. The estate was purchased from his descendant, Thomas de Burton, about 1504, by Christopher Brown, ancestor of the Countess Dowager of Pomfret, after whose decease, the reversion of the property, together with the advowson of the living, was purchased by the Earl of Burlington. The parish comprises about 1287 acres, which, with the exception of about 279 acres subject to a corn-rent, are tithe-free. The great north road runs about a mile from the village. Good freestone is quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 15. 5.; net income, £254; patron, the Hon. C. C. Cavendish. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1796; the glebe comprises about 53 acres. The church is a small edifice, partly of later Norman architecture, and partly in the early, decorated, and later English styles; the chancel has been rebuilt. A parochial school is supported chiefly by endowment. At the western extremity of the parish, but now filled up by the formation of a new road, was a deep fosse, part of the Roman camp at Great Casterton. Not far from the manor-house at Tolethorpe, is a spring of carbonated chalybeate water without any mixture of sulphuric acid, similar to the water at Tonbridge-Wells, but less powerful.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stamford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Stamford
Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)