Ketton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland. Tixover is a chapelry of Ketton.
Ketton parish includes: Geeston, Aldgate, and Kelthorpe.
Parish church: St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1561
- North Luffenham
- Edith Weston
- South Luffenham
- Duddington, Northamptonshire
- Collyweston, Northamptonshire
- Easton by Stamford, Northamptonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Ketton, a village and a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland. The village stands on the river Chater, adjacent to the Peterborough and Syston railway, near the boundary with Northamptonshire, 3¼ miles SW by W of Stamford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stamford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Geeston, Aldgate, and Kelthorpe. Acres, 2,740. Real property, £5,423; of which £258 are in quarries. Pop., 1,053. Houses, 242. The old manor belonged, in the time of Stephen, to Richard de Humel; and passed, through various hands, to the Harringtons and the Noels. The prebendal manor of Ketton is now held in lease by the Hon. H. Middleton; the manor of Kelthorpe belongs to Lord Aveland; and the manors of Grenehams, Whitwells, and Hutchins belong to Lord Northwick. Ketton Hall, on the prebendal estate, is now held by John N. Fazakerley, Esq. The Ketton quarries, about a mile N of the village, are noted for their excellent freestone. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Tixover, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £175. Patron, the Prebendary of Ketton. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and N and S transepts, with a central tower, surmounted by a spire 180 feet high; was restored, at much expense, in 1861-3, with insertion of early decorated English new tracery in most of the windows; and contains three sedilia and an old painting of St. Christopher. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and some charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KETTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 951 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Stamford, through Uppingham, to Leicester, comprises 3122a. 19p.; the surface is undulated, the soil clay and loam, and the substratum limestone. There are extensive quarries of freestone of a very superior quality, much used for building in the vicinity, and of which considerable quantities are sent to distant counties. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Tixover annexed, valued in the king’s books at £8; net income, £107; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is principally in the early English style, but in the west end has an intermixture of Norman; the date of the south porch is 1232. It had formerly north and south transepts, which have been destroyed; the tower and spire are very handsome, and in good preservation. Here is a place of worship for Independents. In 1791, Sophia Elizabeth Edwards gave £1000 three per cents, for the support of a school.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Family History Links
Ketton Village History – a wealth of information about the village including the full 1911 census available for download.
- County: Rutland
- Civil Registration District: Stamford
- Probate Court: Pre-1851 – Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Ketton with Tixover, Post-1850 – Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Post-1850 – Rutland, Pre-1851 – None
- Poor Law Union: Stamford
- Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)
- Province: Canterbury