Horn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORN, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on Horn-lane, or Ermine street, adjacent to Exton park, 5½ miles NW of Stamford r. station. Post town, Oakham. Acres, 392. Pop., 30. Houses, 6. The property is returned with Exton, and belongs to the Earl of Gainsborough. A battle, known as Loosecoat battle, was fought at Bloody Oaks here, in 1470, when the Lancastrians were defeated by Edward IV. The living is a sinecure rectory, of small value, annexed to the vicarage of Exton, in the diocese of Peterborough. There is no church.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HORNE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 38 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 856 acres, of which 492 are in Exton Park; of the remainder the far greater part is arable, with a small portion of pasture: the soil is rather of a clayey nature. The living is a rectory, united to the vicarage of Exton, and valued in the king’s books at £1. 6. 8.: the tithes have been commuted for £77. The church, of which the site only can be traced, is supposed to have been destroyed in the time of the Commonwealth; the inhabitants attend Exton church.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham