Hambleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland. Braunston is a chapelry of Hambleton.
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Hambleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Hambleton, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Gwash, 3 miles NE by N of Manton r. station, and 3 ESE of Oakham; is said to have had three churches at the Conquest; was once a market town; and has a post office under Oakham. The parish comprises 1,154 acres. Real property, £694. Pop., 323. Houses, 64. The manor belonged to Editha, wife of the Confessor; passed to the Badlesmeres; and belongs now to George Finch, Esq. Hambleton Hall was a Tudor mansion, and became a farm house. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Braunston, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £180. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is chiefly early English, with later English clerestory; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square tower; and is in good condition. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HAMBLETON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Oakham; containing 325 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Stamford to Leicester, and comprises by computation 4000 acres, of which 3000 are arable and pasture. The soil consists of loam and clay, about half of the land being of good quality, and the rest poor and comparatively unproductive; the surface is undulated, and agreeably interspersed with wood. The living is a vicarage, with the living of Braunston annexed, valued in the king’s books at £10. 17. 1.; net income, £180; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. In a field near the Hall is a mineral spring.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Family History Links
- County: Rutland
- Civil Registration District: Oakham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Rutland
- Poor Law Union: Oakham
- Hundred: Martinsley
- Province: Canterbury