Greetham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GREETHAM, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Gwash, 3¼ miles E of the Melton Mowbray canal, 4 NNW of Empingham, and 6 NE of Oakham r. station; possessed some importance in the Saxon times; is long and straggling; and has a post office under Oakham. The parish comprises 2,800 acres. Real property, £3,756. Pop., 706. Houses, 145. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. Finch, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £163. Patron, G. Finch, Esq. The church is ancient; has a tower and lofty spire; and was restored in 1860. There are a national school, with £36 from endowment, an infant school, and several charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GREETHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 6 miles (N. E.) from Oakham; containing 583 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 3. 9.; net income, £163; patron, G. Finch, Esq., who, with G. Heathcote, Esq., is impropriator: the tithes were commuted for land in 1763. Here is an endowed school, founded in the reign of William III.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham