Great Casterton with Pickworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Alternative names: Bridge Casterton, Great Casterton
Other places in the parish include: Pickworth.
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
Great Casterton with Pickworth
- Parish registers: 1655
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Separate registers exist for Pickworth
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1709
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Stamford All Saints with St Peter, Lincolnshire
- Careby with Holywell and Aunby, Lincolnshire
- Little Casterton
- Holywell, Lincolnshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTERTON (Great), or Bridge-Casterton, a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland; on Ermine street and the river Gwash, near the Leicester and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles NW of Stamford. It has a post office, of the name of Great Casterton, under Stamford. Acres, 1,590. Real property, £2,021. Pop., 323. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Husseys, the Scroops, the Delawarrs, and others; and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. A Roman station, burnt by the Picts, is thought by some to have been here. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Pickworth, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £450. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church was later English, but has been rebuilt. National schools were erected in 1861.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CASTERTON, GREAT (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 376 inhabitants. This was a Roman station, and several coins and the remains of an encampment have been discovered; it was demolished by the Picts and Scots, who ravaged the island as far as Stamford, whence they were driven back to their own territories by the Saxons under Hengist. Its former name was Brig-Casterton, from a bridge over the Gwash, or Wash, here. The barony was held by various lords, until it reverted to the crown in the reign of Henry VIII., in consequence of its possessor, John, Lord Hussey, being attainted of high treason, and beheaded at Lincoln, for joining a commotion raised in Lincolnshire; it is now the property of the Marquess of Exeter. The parish comprises by measurement 2258 acres, of which 2088 are arable and pasture, and 170 woodland. The road from London to Edinburgh passes through the village; and great improvement has been made by lowering a steep hill and constructing a viaduct, at an expense of £5000. The living is a rectory, with that of Pickworth annexed, valued in the king’s books at £11. 2. 11.; net income, £686; patron, the Marquess. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an act of inclosure, in the year 1795; and the glebe consists of about 64 acres, with an excellent glebe-house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stamford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Stamford
Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)