Glaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GLASTON, a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland; 2 miles NNW of Seaton r. station, and 2¼ ENE of Uppingham. Post town, Uppingham. Acres, 1,145. Real property, £2,659. Pop., 238. Houses, 59. The manor belonged to the Colleys, the Sherards, and others. Glaston House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £200. Patron, St. Peter’s College, Cambridge. The church is early and decorated English; has, between the nave and the chancel, an early English tower; was extensively restored in 1862; and contains some old monuments. A school has £5 from endowment; and other charities have £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GLASTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Uppingham; containing 249 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres. The greater portion of the land is a rich, red soil, and the remainder a whitish clay; the surface is hilly, and the scenery pleasing. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 16. 10½., and annexed to the Mastership of St. Peter’s College, Cambridge: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £4. 3. 6., and the rectorial for £270. 16. 6., per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uppingham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Uppingham