Exton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1597
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EXTON, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Gwash, 5 miles ENE of Oakham r. station; and was known, at Domesday, as Exentune. The parish, jointly with Horn, comprises 4,860 acres. Post town, Greetham, under Oakham. Real property, £5,820. Pop., 805. Houses, 164. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to David Earl of Huntingdon; passed to the Bruces, the Culpepers, and the Harringtons; and came to the Noels. Exton Park is the seat of the Earl of Gainsborough; and the present mansion was built in 1854, and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel built in 1869. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £325. Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church was restored in 1853, and contains some splendid monuments of the Harringtons and the Noels. There are a boys’ free school, aged women’s alms-houses, and other charities £42.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
EXTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 5¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Oakham; containing 881 inhabitants. It comprises 3856 acres. The surface is generally flat, with a gentle undulation on one side, forming a small valley; the soil is partly a reddish mould resting on limestone, alternated with red rock, and partly a strong loam resting upon clay. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 7. 8.; net income, £325; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Gainsborough: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act of the 39th of George III. The church is a spacious and elegant structure, chiefly in the early, and partly in the later, English style, with a tower strengthened by buttresses, and surmounted by a spire; it contains several finely-executed monuments to the Noel family and their connexions. A school, at present on the national system, was established in 1702 by Henry Foster, Esq., who endowed it with property now producing £30 per annum. Numerous fossil remains are discovered. A small mound in the parish, bearing the name of Robin Hood’s Cave, is supposed to have been a retreat of that celebrated outlaw.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham