Empingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists in Empingham include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Empingham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Empingham, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on the river Gwash, 3½ miles NNW of Ketton r. station, and 6 WNW of Stamford; was once a market town; is traditionally said to have been anciently an important town, containing seven churches; and has a post office under Stamford. The parish comprises 2,780 acres. Real property, £6,910. Pop., 921. Houses, 177. The manor belonged to the Normanvilles, the Passeleys, and others; and passed to the Heathcotes. Empingham House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is early English, with Norman arches; and has a curious handsome tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The parish has a share in Forster’s charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
EMPINGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Stamford; containing 914 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Stamford to Oakham, and comprises by computation 5000 acres, of which 4000 are arable, and the rest woodland and roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 14. 9½.: net income, £316; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with some later insertions.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Rutland
- Civil Registration District: Oakham
- Probate Court: Pre-1851 – Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Empingham, Post-1850 – Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Post-1850 – Rutland, Pre-1851 – None
- Poor Law Union: Oakham
- Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)
- Province: Canterbury