Cottesmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire. Barrow is a chapelry of Cottesmore.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1655
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COTTESMORE, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands near the Melton-Mowbray and Oakham canal, 3¾ miles E of Ashwell r. station, and 4½ NE of Oakham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Barrow; and its post town is Greetham, under Oakham. Acres, 2,420. Real property, £5,749. Pop., 627. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Beauchamps, the Durants, the Harringtons, and others; and passed to the Noels. Cottesmore House is a hunting-seat of the Earl of Lonsdale; and was visited in 1813-4, by the Prince Regent. Limestone is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £893. Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £52.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
COTTESMORE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 4¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Oakham; containing, with the chapelry of Barrow, 670 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from the great north road to Oakham, and comprises 3379a. 2r. 20p. The surface is mostly flat, except on the west side, where it forms a hill of considerable elevation; the soil is in general a light clay, and in some parts a reddish loam, resting on red sandstone, or on limestone rock. The parish is intersected by the Oakham canal. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £25. 16. 3.; net income, £893; patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1799; the glebe comprises 785a. 3r. 29p., with a glebe-house. At the hamlet of Barrow, a very neat chapel of ease has been built by the Rev. H. W. Nevile. Richard Westbrook Baker, Esq., of agricultural celebrity, and who was presented with a valuable service of plate in 1841, as a testimonial of respect, by eleven hundred subscribers, has his residence in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham