Clipsham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutlandshire.
Alternative names: Kelpisham
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1717
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIPSHAM, or Kelpisham, a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland; adjacent to the boundary with Lincoln, 4 miles W by S of Little Bytham r. station, and 9 NNW of Stamford. Post town, Stretton, under Oakham. Acres, 1,655. Real property, £2,056. Pop., 213. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Zouches; and belongs now to J. M. Paget, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough.Value, £210. Patron, J. M. Paget, Esq. The church has painted windows, removed to it from Pickworth; and is good. There was formerly a small chantry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CLIPSHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, soke of Oakham, locally in the hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 9¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Oakham; containing 206 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £10. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the coheiresses of Mrs. Snow: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 51 acres, with a glebe-house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stamford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Stamford
Hundred: Oakham Soke