Braunston is a chapelry of Hambleton Ancient Parish in Rutlandshire.
Alternative names: Branston
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558 see also Hambleton
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAUNSTON, or Branston, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on the river Gwash, 2½ miles SW of Oakham r. station. It has a post office under Oakham. Acres, 3,250. Real property, £2,710. Pop., 398. Houses, 104. Braunston Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Hambleton, in the diocese of Peterborough. There are a Baptist chapel. and charities £59.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BRAUNSTON, or Branston (All Saints), a parish, in the union and soke of Oakham, county of Rutland, 2 miles (S. W.) from Oakham; containing 443 inhabitants. It comprises between 1500 and 2000 acres, of which the greater portion is arable; the soil is various, but chiefly clay of inferior quality. An act of parliament was passed in 1801, for inclosing the waste lands. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hambleton: the church is a small neat edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Oakham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Rutland
Poor Law Union: Oakham
Hundred: Oakham Soke