Bisbrooke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland.
Alternative names: Bisbrook, Pisbrooke
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1665
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Bisbrooke
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Bisbrook, a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland; 1 ½ mile E of Uppingham, and 2 NW of Seaton r. station. Post Town, Uppingham. Acres, 720. Real property, £2,031. Pop., 266. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough-Value, £252. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bisbrooke, a parish in the hund, of Wrandike, union of Uppingham, county of Rutland; 1½ mile east of Uppingham. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Northampton and dio. of Peterborough; valued at £6 0s. 4d.; gross income £258. Patron, in 1835, the Duke of Rutland. The great and small tithes of Bisbrooke manor, the property of the clerical rector, lord of the manor and vicar, were commuted in 1795. Pop., in 1801, 196; in 1831, 177. Houses 38. Acres 720. A. P. £1,815. Poor rates, in 1837, £841.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BISBROOKE, or Pisbrooke (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 1¾ mile (E.) from Uppingham; containing 211 inhabitants. It comprises about 2000 acres of land, of which the soil is invariably red, light, and very fertile, and the situation rather hilly; a considerable quantity of vegetables and fruit of excellent quality is grown. The manor is one of the most ancient possessions of the Duke of Rutland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £6. 0. 4.; net income, £252; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Rutland. His Grace holds an allotment of land in lieu of the rectorial tithes; and there are about 100 acres of glebe, chiefly at Bisbrooke, but partly at Uppingham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
BISBROOKE, a parish in the hundred of Wrandike, county of RUTLAND, 1¾ mile (E.) from Uppingham, containing 223 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Northampton, and diocese of Peterborough, rated in the king‘s books at £6. 0. 4. The Duke of Rutland was patron in 1811. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Here is a school with a trifling endowment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Family History Links
- County: Rutland
- Civil Registration District: Uppingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Rutland
- Poor Law Union: Uppingham
- Hundred: Wrangdyke
- Province: Canterbury