Rhulen, is a village and ecclesiastical parish in the historic county of Radnorshire, South Wales. Post 1974 Rhulen is in the county of Powys.
Welsh name: Rhiwlen
Original Status: Parochial Chapelry to Glascwm
Parish Church: St David
Nonconformists included in Rhulen: Primitive Methodists
Parishes adjacent to Rhulen
- Llanbedr Painscastle
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Rhulen, a parish in the district of Builth and county of Radnor; on the river Edwy, 6½ miles E by S of Builth r. station. Post-town, Kington. Acres, 756. Real property, £673. Pop., 111. Houses, 19. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Glascomb, in the diocese of St. Davids. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Rhulen, a parish in Colwyn hund., union of Builth, county of Radnor, South Wales; 6½ miles east by south of Buallt. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Glascombe. Houses 21. A.P. £496. Pop., in 1801, 120; in 1831, 119. Poor rates, in 1838, £93 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Rulen Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Rulen, 7 miles E. Builth. P. 129
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1849
Rulen (Rhulen), a parochial chapelry, in the union of Builth, hundred of Colwyn, county of Radnor, South Wales, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Builth; containing 129 inhabitants. Its surface is hilly, and its soil for the most part barren, the whole consisting of about five hundred acres of inclosed and three hundred of uninclosed land; it is skirted on the west by the river Edwy. In civil matters it forms an independent place, but, ecclesiastically, is regarded as a chapelry consolidated with the vicarage of Glâscomb, within the limits of which parish it was formerly included, the inhabitants having certain sittings appropriated to their use in the mother church, to the repairs of which they still contribute. In the king’s books it is described as a chapel to Glâscomb, of the certified value of £4. 13. 4. The tithes have been commuted for £82. 10., of which a sum of £49. 10. is payable to the Bishop of St. David’s as appropriator, and £33 to the vicar. The chapel, dedicated to St. David, is a small plain structure, situated about three-quarters of a mile from the river. Ten shillings per annum were left by some unknown benefactor; but the principal, £10, was divided among the poor about half a century since.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1849
Family History Links
- Place: Rhulen
- County: Radnorshire
- Civil Registration District: Builth
- Probate Court:
- Diocese: St. Davids
- Rural Deanery:
- Poor Law Union: Builth
- Hundred: Colwyn