Devereux St Herefordshire Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Devereux (St.), a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the Hereford and Abergavenny railway, 7 ½ miles SW by S of Hereford. It has a station on the railway, and contains the hamlet of Didley. Post-town, Wormbridge, under Hereford. Acres, 1,095. Real property, £1,394. Pop., 242. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £186. Patron, the Rev. Archer Clive. The church is very old but tolerable.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Pressing to Death Obsolete Punishments of Shropshire

Last updated on July 19th, 2017


Pressing to death, which was called, appropriately enough, peine forte et dure, was probably the most terrible sentence pronounced in criminal cases in ancient times, and yet, notwithstanding the revolting nature of the punishment, the records of the county of Salop contain more than one instance of persons, who were endowed with resolution and patience to undergo so horrible a death, in order, apparently, to benefit their heirs by preventing a forfeiture of their estates, which would have been the consequence of a conviction after a verdict.

The origin of so cruel and inhuman a punishment is not clear; some writers have asserted that it was in use before the reign of Edward I., others, that whether the judgment ever subsisted at common law or not, the pressing portion of it was gradually introduced1 between the times of Edward III. and Henry IV., being intended as a means of showing mercy to the delinquent by delivering him the sooner from the torments of a lingering death under a previous statute, which permitted strait confinement in prison accompanied by a process of slow starvation.

It is not improbable that a distrust of the fidelity of the gaolers in carrying out the sentence of prison forte et dure may have suggested the hideous cruelty by which an attempt was afterwards made to draw speech from the silent.
Continue reading “Pressing to Death Obsolete Punishments of Shropshire”

Muster Rolls of the Hundred of Bradford

The musters takyn before Thomas Nevport & William Yonge Squiers att Nevport the last day of marche in the xxxth yere of the Raynge of our Soverenge lord King Henry viij of the oon parte of the hundred of Bradfort within the Coontie of Salop & all thes menne here Insuinge whos namys be heryn wryttynne ar abull men (1538).

I. Pyckstock.
John Adeney- billmenne
Thes Townschips have harness for ij men A Jacke & a Sallet.

  1. Adeney.
    Thomas Adeney – billmenne
  2. Hynstock
    Thomas Benbowe – billmenne
    Thomas Tayler
  3. Cherrynton
    Thomas Bostock Continue reading “Muster Rolls of the Hundred of Bradford”

Sevenhampton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1897

Last updated on March 26th, 2017

Sevenhampton is a parish and village and includes the villages of Brockhampton and Brockhampton Quarry, 2 miles north – by – east from Andoversford station on the Great Western railway and 7 east from Cheltenham, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Bradley, petty sessional division, county court district and union of Northleach, rural deanery of Cheltenham and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The river Coln rises in this parish. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient cruciform edifice of stone, in the Early English and Later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled central tower with a stair turret at the south-east angle, containing 3 bells: there are several mural tablets to John Hincksman, 1774, and Margaret, his wife, 1816, with others of the family, 1739-96: on the floor of the church is a brass to William Lawrence, infant son of Anthony and Culpeper Lawrence, 1694, and there are later memorials of the same name: the church was restored in 1891-2 at a cost of about £1,400, and affords 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £132, including 30 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Joseph Storr, B.A., of London University. There are two Baptist chapels, one at Brockhampton and another at Brockhampton Quarry. A charity of £1 is distributed to the poor annually in bread. Brockhampton Park, the property of the Craven family and now in the occupation of Major Edward Henry Green-de Freville J.P., D.L., Cambs. and master of the Cotswold hounds, is a fair specimen of an old -fashioned country seat; the mansion, surrounded by well-grown shrubberies, has a secluded and venerable appearance; the park is studded with grand old trees, and contains a herd of deer. Christian William Lawrence esq. of Sandywell Park, Dowdeswell, who is lord of the manor of Sevenhampton, and the trustees of the late Fulwar John Colquitt-Craven esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and light oolite; subsoil, clay and light oolite. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,376 acres; rateable value, £2,120; the population in 1891 was 399.
Continue reading “Sevenhampton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1897”

Tetbury Gell and Bradshaw Gloucestershire Directory 1820

Allaway John, farmer, Doughton
Ashbee James, mason and victualler, Ormond’s Head
Bainton Jeremiah, lodging house
Baldwin John, fellmonger
Barnford Robert, woolstapler
Barham Rev. Mr. Green
Bennett Daniel, gent.
Benjamin John, farmer, Charlton
Bettridge Abraham
Biderman J. W. gent.
Biderman T. E. ditto
Box James, tailor and habit maker
Brown Elizabeth, milliner Continue reading “Tetbury Gell and Bradshaw Gloucestershire Directory 1820”