Stokenchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish, formerly in the county of Oxfordshire, created in 1844 from chapelry in Aston Rowant Ancient Parish. It was transferred to Buckinghamshire from Oxfordshire in 1896.
Other places in the parish include: Water End and Beacons Bottom.
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1707
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1670
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOKENCHURCH, a village and a parish in the district of Wycombe and county of Oxford. The village stands on one of the Chiltern hills, 5 miles WNW of West Wycombe r. station; commands a fine view; and has a post-office under Tetsworth, and a fair on 10 July. The parish includes the hamlets of Beacons-Bottom and Water-End, and comprises 4,308 acres. Real property, £5,094. Pop., 1,508. Houses, 289. The manor belongs to J. Brown, Esq. Wormsley is the seat of Lieut.-Col. J. W. Fane. Chair-making is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and belonged to Wallingford priory; and has been recently restored. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, and charities £41. The regicide Scrope was a resident.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
STOKENCHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Lewknor, county of Oxford, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Wycombe; containing 1334 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Oxford, through Wycombe. The village, which consists only of a few scattered houses, is on one of the highest points of the Chiltern hills. The manufacture of common chairs is carried on to a considerable extent, principally for the London market. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; income, £135. The church was restored in 1847-8, and has a new east window of painted glass; it contains monuments to two members of the Morley family, who distinguished themselves in the wars of Edward III. and Richard II. There is a place of worship for Independents. Twelve children are educated, clothed, and apprenticed for a rent-charge of £41, the bequest of B. Tipping in the year 1675.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Buckinghamshire, Stokenchurch
England, Oxfordshire, Stokenchurch – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Stokenchurch monumental inscriptions
Author: Morgans, E. A.; Wright, S. L. (Sylvan Lloyd), 1912-; Oxfordshire Family History Society
England, Oxfordshire, Stokenchurch – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Stokenchurch, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Oxfordshire, Stokenchurch – Census – 1851 ( 1 )
1851 census of Lewknor Uphill, Ibstone, Stokenchurch
Author: Buckinghamshire Family History Society
England, Oxfordshire, Stokenchurch – Church records ( 6 )
The non-parochial registers of South Oxfordshire and Oxford : deposited at the Public Record Office, Chancery Lane, London
Author: Young, Brian R.; Oxfordshire Family History Society
Oxfordshire parish register transcripts : South Oxon Registration District
Author: Oxfordshire Family History Society
Parish registers for Aston-Rowant, 1554-1804
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Aston-Rowant (Oxfordshire)
Register of the baptism of children, 1830-1837
Author: Independent Chapel (Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire)
Stokenchurch St. Peter and St.Paul Oxfordshire (now Bucks.) parish registers
Author: Wilkinson, C., Mrs.; Wilkinson, A.; Wright, Sue; Morgans, Liz; Church of England. Parish Church of Stokenchurch (Oxfordshire)
Transcripts of Bishop’s transcripts of Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England, 1670, 1678/1679
Author: Challen, W. H. (William Harold); Church of England. Parish Church of Stokenchurch (Oxfordshire)
England, Oxfordshire, Stokenchurch – Church records – Indexes ( 2 )
Computer printout of Stokenchurch, Independent, Oxon., En
Parish register printouts of Stokenchurch, Oxford, England (Independent) ; christenings, 1830-1837
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
England, Oxfordshire, Stokenchurch – History ( 1 )
Stokenchurch in perspective
Author: Starey, C. J. H.; Viccars, P.G.
- County: Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Wycombe
- Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Aston
- Poor Law Union: Wycombe
- Hundred: Lewknor
- Province: Canterbury