Steeple Barton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Seswells Barton, Sesswells Barton, and Middle Barton.

Alternative names: Great Barton, Barton-Steeple

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1678
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1721

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BARTON-STEEPLE, a township and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The township lies on a tributary of the Cherwell river, 2½ miles W of Heyford r. station, and 4½ SSW of Deddington. The parish includes also the townships of Middle-Barton and Seswells-Barton; and its Post Town is Lower Heyford, under Oxford. Acres, 2,710. Real property, £3,981. Pop., 859. Houses, 204. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged for centuries to the Dormers, passed in 1750 to Sir Clement Cottrell, and belongs now to H. Hall, Esq.; and the mansion on it is a picturesque structure of 1524, enlarged tastefully by the present proprietor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £123. Patrons, the Duke of Marlborough and H. Hall, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, recently restored. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BARTON, STEEPLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 4¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Deddington; containing 640 inhabitants, of whom 60 are in the township of Steeple-Barton, and 49 in that of Sesswells-Barton. The parish comprises 1032a. 3r. 17p., chiefly arable land, with about 70 acres of wood and coverts. The Heyford and Enstone road runs through the parish, and the Dorn brook here turns a corn-mill. Many of the females find employment in stitching gloves for the Woodstock manufacturers. A house at Sesswells-Barton, now a farmhouse, belonging to Henry Hall, Esq., is a fine specimen of Tudor architecture; it was built about 1524, and was repaired in 1679, and again in 1840. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 9. 4½.; net income, £78; vicar, the Rev. Robert Wright; impropriator, the Duke of Marlborough. The tithes were commuted for land and an annual money payment in 1795. The church, an ancient and spacious structure now in much want of repair, was granted about 1260 to the canons of Osney, who, in 1536, had a revenue of £28. 10. 5. accruing here: in the chancel are some monuments of the Dormer family. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends, but it is almost disused. A school is supported by the Rev. William Wilson. At Sesswells are the remains of a cromlech, and of a British earthwork.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Photographs

Parish Records

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Woodstock
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Woodstock
  • Poor Law Union: Woodstock
  • Hundred: Wootton
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts