Shilton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.
Alternative names: Shelton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1721
Nonconformists include: Baptist
View Larger Map
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHILTON, a parish, with a village, in Witney district, Oxford; 6 miles W by S of Witney r. station. Post town, Bampton, under Faringdon. Acres, 1,595. Real property, £2,019. Pop., 298. Houses, 69. The manor belongs to J. H. Lance, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £112. Patron, the Rev. A. Neate. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £34.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SHILTON, a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 2½ miles (S. S. E.) from Burford; containing 305 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 5. 5.; patron, the Rev. Thomas Neate; impropriator, J. Gwynne, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1794.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Oxfordshire, Shilton – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Shilton, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Oxfordshire, Shilton – Schools ( 1 )
Shilton School records, 1870-1900
Author: Shilton School (Oxfordshire)
- County: Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Witney
- Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Witney
- Poor Law Union: Witney
- Hundred: Bampton (Oxfordshire)
- Province: Canterbury