Sandford St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Leadwell.
Alternative names: Sandford, Sandford near Deddington, Sandford on Churwell
Parish church: St. Martin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1738
- Over Worton
- South Newington
- Westcote Barton
- Barford St Michael
- Steeple Barton
- Great Tew
- Nether Worton
View Larger Map
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SANDFORD, a village and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Dorme, 4¼ miles WNW of Heyford r. station, and 4½ SW by S of Deddington; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Oxford, and a tall cross on lofty steps. The parish contains also the hamlet of Leadwell, and comprises 1,850 acres. Real property, £3, 887. Pop., 476. Houses, 105. The Manor House is the residence of the Rev. E. Marshall; and S. Park, of E. Guest, Esq. A quondam large mansion in Leadwell was the seat of Earl Deloraine. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron, the Duke of Marlborough one turn, and the Rev. E. Marshall two turns. The church ranges from transition Norman to later English, was restored in 1 845, and has a new chancel and a W embattled tower. There are a national school, and charities £33.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SANDFORD (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 3¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Neat-Enstone; containing 515 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1850 acres; the surface is diversified with hills of no great elevation, and the soil is a strong clay, alternated with sand. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 0. 5.; net income, £180; patrons, the Duke of Marlborough and the Rev. Edward Marshall; impropriators, various proprietors of land. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1767.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Oxfordshire, Sandford (near Deddington) – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Sandford St. Martin monumental inscriptions
Author: Cole, Charles H. B.; Oxfordshire Family History Society
England, Oxfordshire, Sandford (near Deddington) – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Sandford, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Oxfordshire, Sandford (near Deddington) – History ( 1 )
The history of the parish of Sanford St. Martin : comprising the village of Sandford and the hamlets of Ledwell and Grove
Author: Cole, Charles H. B.; Scroggs, Royston W. H.
England, Oxfordshire, Sandford (near Deddington) – Schools ( 1 )
Sandford St. Martin Church of England School records, 1866-1899
Author: Sandford St. Martin Church of England School (Oxfordshire)
- County: Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Woodstock
- Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Woodstock
- Poor Law Union: Woodstock
- Hundred: Wootton
- Province: Canterbury