Rotherfield Peppard is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.

Alternative names:

  • Peppard
  • Peppard Rotherfield
  • Pepper

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1754
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ROTHERFIELD-PEPPARD, a parish, with a village, in Henley district, Oxford; 3½ miles W by S of Henley r. station. It has a wall-letter-box under Henley-on-Thames. Acres, 2, 158. Real property, £2, 862. Pop., 437. Houses, 95. The manor belonged, in the 13th century, to W. Pipard; and passed to the Botelers, the Draytons, and others. Peppard Grove and Blounts Court are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the.diocese of Oxford. Value, £623. Patron, Jesus College, Oxford. There are an Independent chapel, and two free schools.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ROTHERFIELD-PEPPARD (All Saints), a pa rish, in the union of Henley, hundred of Binfield county of Oxford, 4½ miles (W. by S.) from Henley; containing 439 inhabitants. The parish takes the suffix to its name from the family of Pipard, to whom it belonged in the time of Henry II. It is bounded on the east by the river Thames, and intersected by the road from Henley to Reading, also by the road from Nettlebed to Reading; and comprises by measurement 2293 acres, of which 1390 are arable, 265 meadow and pasture, 177 woodland and plantation, and 180 beech-wood. The soil is fertile, producing excellent wheat and other grain; the surface is pleasingly undulated, and the substrata are chiefly chalk and flint. In the village are a large flour-mill, and a paper-manufactory. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £522, and the glebe comprises 57 acres. The church is supposed to have been built in the time of Edward I. or II. There is a place of worship for Independents. About 500 yards from the church is a remarkably fine spring, which supplies the neighbourhood during the driest seasons.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Henley
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Henley
  • Poor Law Union: Henley
  • Hundred: Binfield
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts