North Leigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Osney Hill, Horse in the Hill, Newyatt, and Horse in Hill.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1573
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1684; 1721
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEIGH (NORTH), a village and a parish in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands 1½ mile SE of Akeman-street, 2¾ W by S of Handborough r. station, and 3 NE by N of Witney. The parish contains also the hamlet of Newyatt; and its Post town is Witney. Acres, 2,460. Real property, £4,025; of which £18 are in quarries. Pop., 738. Houses, 163. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Marlborough. A Roman villa, 212 feet by 167, a tesselated pavement, a hypocaust, coins of Clandins, and other Roman relics, were found in the parish in 1813-6. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £147. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; has a Norman low square tower; and contains a fine alabaster figured tomb, and several other monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £51.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Oxfordshire, North Leigh – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for North Leigh, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Oxfordshire, North Leigh – Church records ( 1 )
Northleigh, 1572 to 1840, parish registers
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of North Leigh (Oxfordshire); Daish, T.
Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups
- County: Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Witney
- Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Woodstock
- Poor Law Union: Witney
- Hundred: Wootton
- Province: Canterbury